John leads our Workers Compensation & Self Insurance team and is arguably South Australia’s leading workers compensation expert. He has practiced exclusively in all aspects of workers compensation for more than 30 years, working closely with clients to defend and manage workers compensation claims and assisting companies in their transition to becoming self-insurers in both the state scheme and Comcare.
An authority on self insurance, South Australia’s Return to Work scheme (previously WorkCover) and the workers compensation industry in general, John has published numerous opinion pieces and commentaries and is regularly sought after as an expert presenter at industry-based conferences and workshops.
An experienced litigator, John has appeared as counsel before the South Australian Employment Tribunal, the Premium Review Panel, Supreme Court, Fair Work Commission, SA and Federal Industrial Courts, Federal Magistrates Court and the Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission.
John also advises employers on their work health and safety (WHS) rights and obligations, and represents them in WHS investigations and prosecutions.
Memberships & Affiliations
John is an active member of the following associations and industry bodies:
- American Chamber of Commerce (SA) - Governor
- Association of Legal Administrators
- Australian Lawyers' Alliance
- International Association of Managing Partners
- Law Council of Australia (Legal Practice) - Australian Law Management Group Committee
- Law Society of South Australia - Ethics & Practice Committee
- Port Adelaide Football Club - Chairman's Club Member (AFL & SANFL)
- Registered Employers Group (SA)
- Self Insurers of South Australia Inc.