John practises in the areas of mergers and acquisitions and corporate finance, with a particular focus on advising clients who are structuring and investing in private equity funds as well as providing both Canadian and international clients with general corporate and commercial advice. John is the Co-Chair of the firm’s Private Equity Practice Group.
- Dorma Group on its purchase of Rutherford Controls Int'l Corp., a global supplier of locking and access control solutions.
- Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan on its $150 million investment in Canbriam Energy Inc.
- Pattern Energy, an international wind energy company, on its Canadian M&A and related activities.
- OPTrust on several private equity investments, including Globalvia Infrastructure and the establishment of Firelight Infrastructure Partners L.P., a joint venture with Dundee Realty focused on renewable energy.
- Pacific Road Resources Funds on several investments into Canadian resource issuers.
- Ontario Pension Board on several private equity investments.
- KingSett Capital and AIMCO on their acquisition of ING Summit Industrial Fund, Canada’s largest owner of light industrial property.
- Cara Operations Limited on the sale of its Cara Airline Solutions division.
- Connor Clark & Lunn GVest Traditional Infrastructure Limited Partnership on the establishment of an infrastructure fund and subsequent investment activities.
- Kensington Capital Partners Limited on the initial public offering of Kensington Global Private Equity Fund, the first Canadian publicly-traded fund of private equity funds.
- 3i Group on a significant investment in Mold-Masters Ltd.
- Ryder Systems, Inc. on the acquisition of Westrich Holdings, a Canadian transportation provider.