John Barry focuses his practice in the areas of taxation and mergers and acquisitions involving both public and private companies. His experience includes representation of clients in connection with tax-free reorganizations, spinoffs, taxable stock and asset sales and purchase transactions, and partnership transactions including the formation and structuring of private equity funds. Mr. Barry also has extensive experience in tax controversy matters before the Internal Revenue Service, Wisconsin Department of Revenue, and various state taxing jurisdictions. Mr. Barry is currently a director and past-Chair of the State Bar of Wisconsin Tax Law section. His recent experience includes:
- Providing tax opinions to clients in connection with tax-free reorganizations and other merger/acquisition transactions.
- Successfully negotiating a voluntary disclosure agreement with a state taxing authority that resulted in a multimillion dollar tax savings for his client.
- Representation of investment funds and investors in private placement investments in limited partnerships and limited liability companies.
- Consultation on a variety of federal, international, and state and local tax planning opportunities for clients.
- Administrative and judicial dispute resolution in connection with matters before the Internal Revenue Service, Wisconsin Department of Revenue, and various state and local taxing authorities.
- Applications for numerous private letter rulings from the Internal Revenue Service.