John Bannen’s practice focuses on estate planning and probate matters for individuals, small business owners and professionals, marital property issues and agreements, review and evaluation of life insurance and annuity products, split dollar arrangements and related life insurance premiums for business owners, counseling small employers on pension and profit-sharing alternatives and distribution strategies for accumulations of retirement income. Client representation in estate tax audits, pension and profit sharing audits and probate court and administrative practice. His special experience includes:
- Intergenerational family wealth protection; drafting wills and trusts to minimize the effect of taxes and to minimize the risk of creditors' claims and division of assets in the event of divorce.
- Planning for retirement, including distribution strategies for maximum income tax savings for retirement income, including pension, profit-sharing and 401(k) plans, and IRAs; planning for long term care expenses and consideration of home care and nursing home insurance.
- Planning to simplify the passage of property to spouses and children upon death, focusing on avoidance of probate.
- Independent and unbiased review life insurance and annuity needs and products; consideration of life insurance based tax strategies and planning.
- Settling disputes among family members relating to wills, trusts or probate or trust administration.
- Estate planning for employee benefits, IRA rollovers, life insurance in pension, profit sharing and 401(k) plans, planning for pension annuity elections, long term care insurance, prohibited transaction planning for private equity investments in pension and profit sharing plans, unrelated business taxable income earned by benefit plans.