Working as a trial lawyer from Spokane, Washington, John Ray Nelson has represented clients in state and federal courts in Washington, Idaho, Oregon and Utah, as lead counsel in the following types of cases:
-Intellectual Property Litigation, including defense and prosecution of patent, trademark and copyright infringement claims
- Contract Litigation, including commercial sales, construction, professional malpractice, and partnership dissolution disputes
- Real Estate Litigation, including sales contract, misrepresentation/ failure to disclose, boundary, easement and water rights disputes
- Employment Defense Litigation, including discrimination, retaliation, wrongful discharge and competition disputes
- Environmental Litigation, including defense of Clean Water Act and Clean Air Act citizen suits and conjoined toxic tort claims
- Trespass and Nuisance Litigation, including claims of surface and groundwater contamination, insurance recovery and cleanup allocation
John has been admitted to practice in Washington, Utah, and Idaho. He has served as a federal law clerk for the Eastern District of Washington, as a Lawyer Representative to the Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference, and as Chair of the Washington State Bar Association's Litigation Section and the Eastern District of Washington's Federal Bar Association.
Aardema v. Norhwest Dairy Association — First chair responsibility in successful defense of $82,000,000 claim for fraud and breach of fiduciary duty claims by former members of agriculatural cooperative.
Defense verdict on all counts.
Spring Cover Ranch v. Grandview Dairy — First Chair responsibility in successful defense of three week jury trial on claims for nuisance and trespass by alleged groundwater contamination. Defense verdict.
Microsoft v. Alpine Industries — First Chair responsibilities representing plaintiff in trial for copyright infrngement of software program. Obtained judgment for willfull infringement by deliberate ingnorance.