John Woolf has spent thirty-eight years successfully trying lawsuits in state and federal courts in Wichita, the state of Kansas, and neighboring states. Mr. Woolf is lead trial counsel, specializing in defending high exposure personal injury and product liability jury trials. Mr. Woolf has extensive litigation experience in complex business and commercial matters, frequently representing both plaintiffs and defendants. He has handled many complex domestic matters, many of which were resolved without the necessity of a trial.
Primary Areas of Practice
Mr. Woolf’s practice includes consultation on litigation problem solving and avoidance, and alternate dispute resolution. He has served as a civil mediator since his selection by the United States District Court for Kansas in 1985. Mr. Woolf enjoys Martindale Hubbell Law Directory’s highest “AV” rating for lawyers and has been selected by his peers for inclusion in Best Lawyers of America in business and commercial litigation and Bet-The-Company. He has also been selected for inclusion in “Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers” for commercial litigation.
Admitted to Practice
- Kansas, 1968
- United States Military Court, 1969
- United States District Court, District of Kansas
- United States District Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Kansas State University (B.S. in Business, 1965)
- University of Kansas School of Law (J.D., 1968)
- Judge Advocate School, U.S. Army (1969)
Professional Membership Affiliations and Honors
- Selected by peers for the Best Lawyers in America in fields of business and commercial litigation and Bet-The-Company.
- Martindale Hubbell highest rating for lawyers of “AV”
- Selected for inclusion in Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers for commercial litigation.
- Charter member of the Wesley E. Brown American Inn of Court
- Kansas Association of Defense Counsel
- Phi Delta Phi Legal Fraternity
- American Bar Association
- Kansas Bar Association
- Wichita Bar Association
- Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Sedgwick County (15-year Board Member and past President)
- Big Brothers/Big Sisters of America (Board Member, Region IX past President, and current Advisory Board Member)
- Salvation Army Biddy Basketball (Board Member)
- Andover School Advisory Board
- Youth Sports Coach
- Vietnam Veterans Leadership Program (Board Member)
- Lead defense counsel for international chemical company in six-week wrongful death jury trial where plaintiff was exposed to pentachlorophenol, resulting in a defense verdict.
- Co-trial counsel for plaintiff in initial toxic shock syndrome case against a tampon manufacturer, resulting in large settlement for plaintiff during trial.
- Co-trial defense counsel in commercial litigation case, representing international corporation in a four-week jury trial concerning the ownership of several coal mines in Colorado, resulting in a verdict for defendant.
- Defense counsel for large manufacturing company sued for causing underground water contamination in the City of Wichita, resulting in a cleanup plan without any monetary judgment.
- Defense counsel in three-week jury trial, representing the owner of a high rise hotel against claims of the general contractor, resulting in a defense verdict.
- Lead jury trial counsel for national paving contractor in a lawsuit involving the construction of runways and taxiways at the Wichita Municipal Airport, resulting in a verdict for the contractor.
- Defense counsel for trucking company in an accident wrongful death jury trial, resulting in defense verdict for the trucking company.
- Plaintiff’s counsel for an oil company in a jury trial that established a right to recover for indirect damages without the requirement of an actual taking in an inverse condemnation case.
- Defense counsel for a national food processing company in successfully defending against the State’s claim of labeling and packaging violations.
- Defense counsel for a national ethanol manufacturer, negotiating multiple successful settlements in byproduct contamination