John K. Cunningham is a partner in the Firm's Financial Restructuring and Insolvency Practice. Mr. Cunningham has led White & Case teams in some of the largest domestic and international restructurings on behalf of troubled companies, creditors' committees, noteholders, lenders and strategic investors. Mr. Cunningham's restructuring matters include the U.S., Latin America and Europe.
Recent and noteworthy restructurings and bankruptcy representations include:
- Revel Casino Resort – a $2.4 billion casino resort project in Atlantic City in its chapter 11 case in the District of New Jersey.
- Rede Group – one of Brazil's largest electric utility conglomerates in its successful chapter 15 case in the Southern District of New York.
- Global Power Equipment Group – one of the largest power equipment and utility service provides in the U.S. in its successful reorganization pursuant to a chapter 11 plan in the District of Delaware.
- OAS – one of Brazil's largest construction companies in connection with its judicial reorganization in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- Classic Party Rentals – one of the largest event rental companies in the U.S. in its chapter 11 case in the District of Delaware.
- Sifco SA – one of Brazil's largest truck axle manufacturers and distributors in its chapter 15 case in the Southern District of New York
- Aralco – one of Brazil's largest sugar producers in its chapter 15 case in the Southern District of New York.
- iGPS – the largest plastic pallet pooling company in the U.S. in its chapter 11 case in the District of Delaware.
- Independencia SA – representing the senior secured noteholders of one of Brazil's largest meat packing companies in the successful sale of Independencia's assets through an amended judicial reorganization plan in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- Coda Electric – representing an electric car company in its chapter 11 case in the District of Delaware.
- Los Angeles Dodgers – representing Major League Baseball in the Dodgers' chapter 11 case in the District of Delaware resulting in a historic $2.15 billion dollar sale of the team to new ownership.
- Corporacion Durango – one of Mexico's largest paper companies in the successful reorganization of Durango and its U.S subsidiaries pursuant to dual chapter 11 and chapter 15 cases in the Southern District of New York.
- Six Flags Amusement Parks – representing the ad hoc committee of Six Flags Inc. noteholders in the successful hostile takeover of Six Flags pursuant to an equity rights offering, new notes issuance and new senior loan facilities under a chapter 11 plan in the District of Delaware.
- Tricom SA – representing the largest creditor and controlling shareholder in the successful reorganization of Tricom, one of the largest telecommunications companies in the Dominican Republic, pursuant to a chapter 11 plan in the Southern District of New York.
Mr. Cunningham has also played a prominent role in numerous other large and complex restructurings including BI-LO Supermarkets
(Royal Ahold); Solutia, Inc
. (senior secured noteholders); Neways
(second lien lenders); Chem RX
(official committee of unsecured creditors); International Aluminum Corp
. (official committee of unsecured creditors); Recticel Automotive
(Belgian parent company); SNS Property Finance
(Dutch bank's international loan portfolio); Vitro SAB
(ad hoc group of noteholders); IT Group
(official committee of unsecured creditors); Quality Stores, Inc
. (official committee of unsecured creditors); Venturelink Holdings
(official committee of unsecured creditors); VarTec
(official committee of Excel independent representatives); Let's Talk Cellualr & Wireless
(debtor); and Harrah's Jazz Casino
(official committee of senior secured noteholders).
Mr. Cunningham regularly speaks at numerous restructuring and bankruptcy conferences in the U.S. and internationally, including INSOL, The National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges, The Beard Group and others.