John Ventola is a partner in Choate’s Finance Group, which is ranked by Chambers USA as one of the leading practices of its kind.
Mr. Ventola has practiced in the finance and restructuring industry for more than 17 years and was recently named one of the world’s leading bankruptcy attorneys by Guide to the World's Leading Insolvency and Restructuring Lawyers. He is recognized as a leader in his field by Chambers USA and Best Lawyers in America and is named a Massachusetts Super Lawyer.
Bankruptcy & Restructuring: all aspects of loan workouts, restructurings and bankruptcy proceedings, including cash collateral disputes, equitable subordination and recharacterization, Section 363 sales and contested plans of reorganization.
Finance & Junior Capital: represent financial institutions in complex, multi-tranche financial transactions, including asset based, cash flow, Term B, second-lien, DIP and mezzanine loans and preferred stock and other junior capital investments.
Private Equity: acquisition and growth financings for private equity funds and their portfolio companies.
· Counsel to Agent in connection with $400 million, multi-currency loan facility to leading environmental services company.
· Counsel to Agent under $100 million revolving credit to world famous maker of musical instruments.
· Counsel to bondholders in restructuring of companies in consumer products, home building and healthcare industries.
· Counsel to Trustee, High Voltage Engineering Corporation, The Frontier Group, Inc.
· Counsel to Examiner, Gitto Global Corporation, Organogenesis, Inc.
· $88 million debtor in possession financing facility for national furniture retailer, counsel to Agent.
· $90 million debtor in possession financing facility to global machine tool manufacturer, counsel to Agent.
· $144.5 million acquisition/working capital facility for consumer products distributor, counsel to Agent.
Publications and Presentations
· “Q&A With Choate’s John Ventola,” featured, Bankruptcy Law360, April 2013.
· “10th Circ. Has Left Less Static for Secured Creditors,” co-author, Bankruptcy Law360, January 2013.
· “Houghton Mifflin: Practically Proper Improper Venue,” co-author, Bankruptcy Law360, August 2012.
· “Debating Bankruptcy Venue Reform,” co-author, Bankruptcy Law360, September 2011.
· “The Gifting Doctrine v. the Absolute Priority Rule,” co-author, Bankruptcy Law360, March 2011.
· “Environmental Claims Get Harder to Discharge," co-author, Bankruptcy Law360, November 2010.
· “The Assault on the Secured Creditor,” panelist, ABI Northeast Conference, July 2010.
· “Lessons From In Re Hydrogen LLC," co-author, Bankruptcy Law360, May 2010.
· “Viewpoint: Court Ruling Endangers ‘Credit Bidding’,” co-author, American Banker, April 2010.
· “Turnaround and Distressed Investing,” panelist, MIT Sloan Private Equity Symposium, April 2010.
· “The Evolution of Credit Bidding,” co-author, Bankruptcy Law360, February 2010.
· “Lessons from General Growth Properties,” co-author, Bankruptcy Law360, August 2009. · “Surviving the Credit Markets and Succeeding in a Turnaround,” co-author, Bloomberg Law Report: Banking & Finance, May 2009.
· "Distressed Investing and Turnarounds,” panelist, MIT Sloan Private Equity Symposium, April 2009.
· “Credit Market Exposure,” panelist, Periscopes Up: Managing Your Company in Turbulent Economic Waters, November 2008.
· "Chief Restructuring Officer: Coming to a Company Near You?" co-author, ACC Northeast Chapter Quarterly Newsletter, Quarter 2, 2008.
· "The Role of a Chief Restructuring Officer," co-presenter, Boston Bar Association Business Law Section Meeting, February 2007.
Professional and Community Involvement
Mr. Ventola is co-chair of the firm’s Hiring Committee and Summer Program. He is active in the Commercial Finance Association, the American Bankruptcy Institute, the Turnaround Management Association and the Bankruptcy Section of the Boston Bar Association.
Mr. Ventola lives in Marblehead, Massachusetts with his wife and two daughters.