Joan Rosoff brings a philosophy of teamwork to each matter, partnering with clients to ensure that goals are met and deals are made. For over 30 years Joan has been representing regional and national clients in a wide array of real estate finance and other transactions. She serves as counsel in all aspects of transactions, providing services in structuring, documenting and closing deals.
Throughout her law career, Joan has represented many different types of clients including national, regional and local banking institutions, national insurance companies, private lenders and investors. The transactions Joan has worked on have ranged from large, multi-state syndicated mortgage loans to regional shopping center transactions to smaller owner occupied stand alone real estate transactions. Joan also has represented many lenders in transactions involving low income, historic, and New Markets tax credits. These transactions have involved not only front end loan work but restructures and workouts of troubled loans, as well.
While most of Joan’s transactions involve the representation of lenders, she has also represented owners and investors. In the latter instance, Joan believes that her experience in representing lenders allows her to bring value to representing “the other side” as she has an excellent grasp of what lenders need to make a transaction work.
Joan also has provided her services on a pro bono basis to homeowners in Philadelphia through her service in the Philadelphia County Mortgage Foreclosure Diversion Project. In so doing, Joan worked with several clients and provided services that allowed them to adjust their mortgage loans and, thus, remain in their homes and continue paying their lenders.
Joan is a member of the Mortgage Bankers Association, the Central Philadelphia Development Corporation (including serving on its Transportation Committee), and CREW Network, an international real estate organization with over 9,500 members. Joan served on the Board of CREW Network for many years and as the President in 2003. She also served on and chaired its Scholarship Committee for several years.
As part of her team oriented approach and in keeping with her philosophy of providing value to her clients, Joan has created and presented educational seminars to clients on real estate and finance related topics including title insurance, surveys, SNDAs and loan structuring.
- Led a team of White and Williams lawyers in representing a national banking institution in a $190 million syndicated mortgage loan involving over forty properties located throughout the United States
- Represented a national banking institution in the restructuring and modification of a series of four troubled loans spread throughout the United States and Canada
- Represented a state bank in connection with a $40,000,000 syndicated construction loan involving the sale of historic tax credits and coordination with existing New Markets tax credits
- Represented a national banking institution in connection with the financing of the renovation and rehabilitation of a former tobacco plant into a residential complex through bank financing and state and federal historic tax credits
- Represented a national banking institution in a nearly $50 million acquisition and construction loan for the redevelopment of a regional shopping center into a mixed use project
- Represented a national banking institution in the modification and workout of a $135 million syndicated construction loan on a multi-family project in Virginia
- Represented life insurance company in multiple mortgage loans in its hotel lending program
- Represented an international bank as “hotel counsel” in a loan to the owner of an international luxury hotel establishment
- Represented a manufacturer in the acquisition and financing of a facility in Philadelphia requiring bank, PIDC and PIDA financing
- Represented the seller of property in a 1031 tax deferred exchange for property to be developed into a multi-family project
- Represented a regional bank in the issuance of a standby letter of credit as credit enhancement in the issuance of nearly $61 million of taxable variable rate demand revenue bonds for an international manufacturer
RECOGNITION & INVOLVMENT
In 2015, Joan was recognized by The Best Lawyers in America in the practice area of Real Estate. She is AV® rated by the Martindale-Hubbell peer review rating system and was also named by her peers as a Pennsylvania "Super Lawyer" by Law & Politics magazine in 2005 and 2006.
As a life-long Center City Philadelphia resident and bicycle advocate, Joan believes strongly in making cities both livable and sustainable and is a member of, and participant in, the Logan Square Neighborhood Association and the Bicycle Coalition of Philadelphia.