Jeremy specializes in insolvency and restructuring litigation, and frequently appears as counsel before the Ontario Superior Court (Commercial List) and the Ontario Court of Appeal in proceedings pursuant to the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act and the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act. He has acted in significant cross-border cases and has acted for major debtor corporations, receivers, trustees in bankruptcy, monitors, secured creditors and purchasers of distressed assets. He also maintains an active general corporate/commercial litigation practice and has been involved in cases involving commercial contracts, professional negligence, product liability and class actions. Jeremy was named a “Rising Star” by Lexpert magazine in 2010.
- Alvarez & Marsal Canada in connection with the CCAA Chapter 15 proceedings of Arctic Glacier Income Fund and the sale of Arctic’s Canadian and U.S. assets to H.I.G. Capital
- Province of Nova Scotia in connection with the sale of NewPage Port Hawkesbury Corp. Out of CCAA proceedings.
- ThyssenKrupp Budd Canada in its pension and benefits settlement with its retirees and tax loss monetization transaction implemented under BIA proposal proceedings.
- FTI Consulting Canada in connection with the CCAA proceedings of Priszm Income Fund, the largest KFC franchisee in Canada.
- Angiotech Pharmaceuticals in connection with its capital restructuring implemented through cross-border CCAA and Chapter 15 proceedings.
- Canwest Global Communications in connection with its refinancing, CCAA restructuring and sale of its broadcast business.
- Circuit City’s Canadian subsidiary (InterTan Canada) in connection with its CCAA proceedings and Circuit City’s Chapter 11 proceedings and the sale of over 700 retail locations.
- The Bargain Shop in its acquisition of Saan Stores through a CCAA proceeding.
- JP Morgan Chase Bank as agent and lender for Collins & Aikman in its cross-border CCAA and Chapter 11 proceedings.
- Blackrock Financialin its capacity as proposed administrator in the CCAA restructuring of the asset backed commercial paper market in Canada.
- RBS Citizens Bank in its credit facilities to, and thereafter RSM Richter Inc. as receiver of, Paramount Holdings Canada Company and Image Craft Inc.
- Parsons & Whittemore Inc. and St. Anne Industries in the sale and revitalization of the assets of St. Anne-Nackawic Pulp Company Limited to a consortium involving Tembec Inc. and The Birla Group financed by the Province of New Brunswick.
- General Electric Capital Corporation in connection with a US$650 million DIP facility and successful CCAA restructuring of Air Canada.
- AT&T Canada/Allstream in its $11 billion restructuring, CCAA proceedings and debt-for-equity swap.