Jeff is an experienced trial lawyer and business advisor in the area of labor and employment law. Jeff advises clients on wage and hour compliance, reductions in force, enforcement of restrictive covenants, employment contracts and separation agreements, employee selection and discipline, WARN compliance, employment policies, internal investigations and business transactions. He has spoken on several employment-related topics, including effective employment documentation, joint employer liability, sexual harassment, age and disability discrimination, social media, criminal background checks and various legislative updates. Jeff defends employers in all types of employment litigation before federal and state courts and agencies. Jeff’s recent significant litigation experience includes:
- Obtaining a defense verdict in a federal jury trial in a race and age discrimination case for national real estate company.
- Defeating a class certification motion on behalf of a Fortune 500 company in a case alleging race discrimination in promotions and compensation.
- Securing a temporary restraining order against a former sales representative who left a large pharmaceutical company to lead sales of a similar product at a principal competitor.
- Obtaining dismissal of a race discrimination class action for a Fortune 100 automobile manufacturer.
- Obtaining dismissal of religious harassment claim for a national drug store chain.
- Successfully representing large shipping company in labor arbitrations over employee discharges.
- Achieving reversal of adverse arbitration result in federal court on behalf of manufacturing client.
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana, 2014
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit, 2000
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit, 1999
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 1991
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana, 2008