JAY W. DANKNER was born, raised and educated in Brooklyn, New York. After graduation from law school in 1973, he joined the firm of the legendary, Harry H, Lipsig, under whose tutelage he learned the intricacies of civil litigation and trials. He tried and won his first case against General Motors in a case involving a design defect within weeks after his admission. Thereafter, he focused his attention on the emerging and developing field of law known as products liability litigation.
At the age of 25, he became a partner at the Lipsig firm and soon founded and expanded its products liability department. In 1994, after over twenty years with that firm and its successors, he founded Dankner & Milstein, P.C. with Edward P. Milstein, who was the partner in charge of the medical malpractice department at the Lipsig firm.
Mr. Dankner has been trial counsel in hundreds of cases, obtaining many multi-million dollar verdicts. He has also been responsible for many of the landmark products liability cases in New York State, both at the appellate level and at the Court of Appeals.
A member of many professional societies and organizations, Mr. Dankner has been consistently named as a New York Super Lawyer (The Top 100), the New York Area’s Best Lawyers, the Leading Plaintiff Lawyers in America, The National Trial Lawyers – Top 100 Trial Lawyers in New York, the Best Lawyers in America, and the Million Dollar Advocates Forum. He is rated AV® by Martindale-Hubbell. He is also a founding member of the Attorneys Information Exchange Group (AIEG) and is a member of its Board of Directors.
A prolific writer and lecturer, he has appeared over the years as a TV commentator in the fields of personal injury and products liability litigation.
Now, as principal at Dankner, Milstein & Ruffo, P.C., he and the firm continue to act as counsel for plaintiffs in high profile cases involving significant injuries and deaths in the fields of products liability, medical malpractice and general personal injury litigation.
Areas of Practice
- Products Liability
- Personal Injury
- Medical Malpractice
- Premises Liability
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Brooklyn Law School, Brooklyn, New York
- Brooklyn College
Honors and Awards:
- "Leading Plaintiffs' Lawyers in America", Lawdragon, 2007
- "Best Lawyers in America", Town and Country Magazine, 1985
- "Million Dollar Advocates Forum", 1994 -continuing
- "The Best Lawyers in America", (Products Liability) (2007-2014)
- "The New York Area's Best Lawyers" (2006 - 2014)
- "The Top 100 Trial Lawyers", National Trial Lawyers Association
- "New York Super Lawyers", 2006-2014 (Top 100, 2008-2011)
- New York State Trial Lawyers Institute, 1985
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1979
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 1977
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1974
- U.S. District Court Northern District of New York, 1974
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1974
- Florida Bar, 1974
- New York Bar, 1974
- The Florida Bar Association
- New York County Lawyers Association, Products Liability Committee, 1992-1993
- Member, Special Committee for Judicial Discipline, New York State Bar Association, 1987-1989
- Member, Products Liability Committee, The Association of the Bar of the City of New York, (2005- 2008)
- New York State Trial Lawyers Institute (Products Liability Committee) 1992-1993
- American Bar Association
- Member, American Association For Justice
- Member, Board of Directors, Attorneys Information Exchange Group, Inc., 1981- Continuing
Scholarly Lectures and Writings:
- "Trial Strategy - Plaintiff's View," Products Liability Practice Guide, 1988
- Lecturer, New York State Trial Lawyers Association, 1990-2004
- Lecturer, Practicing Law Institute, New York City, 1983-1987