Jay P. Dahlin is an experienced trial attorney who has successfully handled numerous financial and custodial cases throughout northern Illinois’ domestic relations courts. On several occasions Mr. Dahlin has received trial verdicts in favor of small business owners and executives, as well as successfully securing custody for both fathers and mothers.
Some of Mr. Dahlin’s notable verdicts include:
- IRMO D.H. vs. V.V. Secured trial verdict for book valuation of eCigarette start-up company.
- IRMO M.C. vs. J.C. Won sole custody for full time working father over stay-at-home mother.
- IRMO R.S. vs. B.S. Secured trial verdict for book valuation of casino technology firm.
- IRMO M.A. vs. Y.C. Won 100% of marital estate and long term family support for stay-at-home mother from intentionally underemployed father.
- IRMO C.W. vs. S.M. Successfully protected multimillion dollar lawsuit proceeds from former spouse’s post-decree support claims.
Mr. Dahlin also specializes in international family law litigation. He has successfully litigated cases involving multi-jurisdictional and international support and custody disputes, property division, business valuations, child recovery and removal, and enforcement issues. He has litigated and consulted on matters involving parties’ interests in India, Mexico, Israel, South Africa, Thailand, the United Kingdom, Switzerland, Germany and Bulgaria. He is a member of the American Society of International Law and is a speaker and author on issues relating to the application of international treaties to domestic relations cases.
The legal community has recognized Mr. Dahlin as an effective advocate for his clients. In 2008, the Law Bulletin Publishing Company named him one of Illinois’ “40 Under 40 Attorneys to Watch.” Since 2009, Super Lawyers has named him an Illinois Rising Star. Since 2012, Mr. Dahlin has been recognized as a “Leading Lawyer.”
Mr. Dahlin earned his Bachelor of Arts and Juris Doctorate degrees from the University of Illinois. He is also a graduate of the American Bar Association Trial Advocacy Institute. Mr. Dahlin joined Schiller DuCanto & Fleck LLP in 2003 after clerking for the United States Attorney and the Illinois Attorney General and working for a large international litigation firm. He has served as an Adjunct Professor of Law at the DePaul University College of Law. An avid philanthropist, Mr. Dahlin serves on the Board of Directors of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Chicago.