Jim is a founding partner of TGF and is internationally recognised for his expertise in the fields of insolvency, restructuring and related litigation. Jim has extensive experience in the automotive, insurance, mining, securities firms and hedge fund sectors. He is recognised as a leading restructuring and insolvency practitioner in Canada in Chambers Global (2015). Jim is listed in the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (2015) as "repeatedly recommended" in the areas of corporate commercial litigation, insolvency and financial restructuring.
- Appeared as counsel in proceedings under the CCAA, involving
A.G. Simpson, Alloy Wheels Industrial, Algoma Steel, Anvil Range Mining,
Bramalea, the Canadian Red Cross, Central Capital, Elks, Royal Oak
Mines, Stelco Inc. and United Keno Hill Mines.
- Counsel for the receiver of the Portus Group. As a result of
Portus' collapse, over 26,000 investors were owed in excess of $790
million. The Receiver recovered over 95 cents on every dollar of their
- Has represented the vast majority of the Receivers of securities firms in Ontario.
- Counsel to the Receiver and Bankruptcy Trustee of an insolvent
pulp and paper mill, in a case involving the divestiture provisions of
- Counsel to the Receiver of Blockbuster Canada, in an orderly liquidation of approximately 440 stores with significant cross-border issues
- Counsel for the Ontario Securites Commission in the insolvency proceedings of Sino-Forest Corporation
- Regularly advises the Ontario Securities Commission on
insolvency matters and has represented the Securities and Exchange
Commission in a cross-border proceeding
Jim was the founding chairman and is currently one of the three co-chairs of the Gold Medal Plates fundraiser for Canada's Olympic athletes. The event raises funds for the Own the Podium programme, which was instrumental in Team Canada's success at the Vancouver, London and Sochi Olympic Games.
Jim is a member of the insolvency section of the Ontario Bar Association, INSOL International and the Insolvency Institute of Canada.