James is a partner in the firm’s Banking and Debt Financing Group. He has extensive experience in all aspects of debt financing. James acts for Canadian banks and other lenders, U.S. and other foreign financial institutions and Canadian and U.S. law firms and corporations. James has acted on all manner of loan transactions including construction and term real estate deals, dealer finance transactions, asset based loans and loans involving the forestry, renewal energy and seniors living sectors.
James has written articles and made presentations on lending issues and acted as editor of publications on real estate financing and mortgage practices.
James has recently acted for:
• The purchaser of the assets of a major fitness centre group
• A company in respect of vendor take back security on the acquisition of land in Burnaby
• A chartered bank in respect of a group of care home providers
• A syndicate of lenders on a financing of a Vancouver real estate development
• A syndicate of lenders in respect of a condominium development on Vancouver Island
• A lender to a partnership acquiring a company’s shares
• A group of companies in respect of a major asset based loan facility
• Several large syndicated construction loans on behalf of two major Canadian banks
• As “peer review” counsel for syndicate members on many syndicated construction loans
• The lender on two large acquisition financings in respect of operating companies
• A leading financial services company on credit facilities for Anthem and Beedie’s development of the retail lands at their Station Square project
• A lender in respect of term and construction loans in respect of many seniors living facilities
• A variety of lenders on a very large number of significant real estate financings (construction and term) in B.C.
• A borrower for a major Canadian forest products company on its syndicated credit facilities