Mr. Murphy is co-founder and Chairman of Murphy & McGonigle, P.C. and serves as Chairman of the firm's Litigation Group. Over the last 25 years, Mr. Murphy has defended public companies and financial institutions as lead trial counsel in high-stakes litigation in courts throughout the U.S. Mr. Murphy also advises financial services companies (including banks, securities broker/dealers, mortgage companies, investment advisers, and hedge funds) with respect to corporate governance, Sarbanes-Oxley and Dodd Frank compliance and securities market issues.
Mr. Murphy currently serves as lead trial counsel to a number of large banks in a variety of litigation and government investigations concerning Residential Mortgage Backed Securities issues.
Mr. Murphy advises clients across the spectrum of the financial services industry with respect to compliance with the constantly evolving banking and securities laws, rules and regulations. He also represents companies involved in investigations initiated by banking regulators, the SEC, FINRA and state Attorneys General.
Mr. Murphy was named the 2014 Securities Regulation "Lawyer of the Year" in the Richmond, Virginia market by The Best Lawyers in America®. He is also listed in Virginia Super Lawyers and Virginia Business magazine’s “Legal Elite.” Mr. Murphy has been awarded Martindale Hubbell's highest rating, AV Preeminent (5.0/5.0).
Other Court Admissions
- Supreme Court of the United States
- 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals
- 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals
- 4th Circuit Court of Appeals
- 9th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Eastern District of Virginia
- Central District of California
- Southern District of New York
- Murphy & McGonigle, Richmond, Virginia, 2010 to present
- LeClairRyan, Richmond, Virginia, 1997 – 2010
- McGuire, Woods, Battle & Boothe, L.L.P. (now McGuireWoods), Richmond, Virginia, 1992 – 1997
- Jones, Bell, Simpson & Abbott, Los Angeles, California, 1988 – 1992