Jim McDaniel has more than 30 years of experience in corporate finance and securities law, financial institutions law and corporate governance. His expertise has been acknowledged by listings in Best Lawyers in America, Massachusetts Super Lawyers, Chambers USA and Who’s Who in American Law.
Public Companies: public and private offerings of equity, debt and hybrid securities, advising public companies and boards of directors on federal securities law compliance, corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions, tender offers, corporate restructurings, general corporate law issues.
Energy & Utilities: capital markets transactions, involving both equity and debt, representation of underwriting syndicates in public and private offerings of securities, securities law compliance, secured and unsecured credit facilities, asset divestitures and restructuring, mergers and acquisitions.
Financial Institutions: advise banks, bank holding companies and other financial institutions on corporate and securities law matters, corporate governance and in merger and acquisition transactions.
· Advise NYSE and NASDAQ listed public companies in securities law compliance and corporate governance issues.
· Represented WKSI registrant in competitive bought deal for $250 million of common stock.
· Represented company in registered induced conversion of convertible notes into common stock with market value of $989 million.
· Represented investment banks in $500 million offering of medium-term notes under Rule 144A.
· Represented major financial institution as agent for syndicate of banks and insurance companies in connection with $1.45 billion revolving credit and term loan facilities established by Commissioner of Baseball for 22 Major League Baseball clubs.
· Represented affiliated utilities in the creation of second mortgage indentures and subsequent issuance of over $5.8 billion of securities in Rule 144A and registered offerings and as collateral for other financings.
· Represented public company in registered exchange offer for $345 million of premium income equity securities and subsequent registered remarketings of related notes.
· Represented largest Massachusetts-based bank holding company in acquisition of another Massachusetts bank holding company.
· Represented utility in issuance of $340 million of mortgage bonds in lieu of supersedeas bond to stay enforcement of judgment obtained by bankrupt energy trading company.
· Represented borrowers in $850 million secured revolving credit facility.
Professional and Community Involvement
Mr. McDaniel is a Fellow of the American College of Investment Counsel, a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation, a Fellow of the Boston Bar Foundation and a member of the Society of Corporate Secretaries and Governance Professionals (Securities Law Committee), the American Bar Association (Business Law Section and Section on Public Utility, Communications and Transportation Law), the Boston Bar Association (past co-chairman of the Business Law Section), the New York City Bar Association and the Law Firm Advisory Board of the ABA Working Group on Legal Opinions. He has served as a member of the Boston Bar Association’s Task Force on Multi-Disciplinary Practice and its Task Force on Corporate Governance. He has also served as a lecturer for Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education and the Boston Bar Association.
Mr. McDaniel actively participates in his community, serving as Chairman of the Board of Directors of Dare Family Services, Inc., a social service agency providing specialized and therapeutic foster care services to abused and neglected children, Chairman of the Board of Advisors of MassGeneral Hospital for Children and Warden and a member of the Vestry of St. Peter’s Episcopal Church in Weston, Massachusetts.