Jag practises corporate and commercial law. He works primarily with partnerships and private companies on a variety of transactions, including asset/share acquisitions and dispositions, corporate finance matters, the negotiation of commercial agreements (including supply agreements, lease and license agreements, employment contracts, franchise and management agreements and shareholder agreements), succession planning/exits, management buy-outs, corporate reorganizations and restructuring. Jag also acts for both hotel owners and hotel licensors/franchisors with respect to the drafting and negotiation of hotel management agreements, hotel franchising/licensing agreements and related documents.
As part of his corporate and commercial practice, Jag acts for a variety of private equity firms in connection with their investment activities. He also participates in the ongoing maintenance and affairs of companies acquired by private equity clients, including the ultimate sale and disposition of their portfolio companies.
In addition, Jag works with clients in the public sector, particularly pension plans, other tax exempt entities and their fiduciaries, with respect to their structuring activities and their real estate and private placement investments, including co-investments. As part of his work with public sector institutions, Jag has assisted clients with investments in Canada, the United States, Europe and South America. In this regard, he has worked extensively in the negotiation and settlement of limited partnership agreements, shareholder agreements, side letters and other types of investment and governance agreements.
Jag also assists counsel in other jurisdictions on matters of British Columbia law, chiefly in the area of mergers, acquisitions and corporate reorganizations.
Internally at the firm, Jag is the Partner in charge of the Corporate Records/Services group, overseeing a group of 7 paralegals and corporate clerks. Through this role, Jag often assists counsel in other jurisdictions on matters of British Columbia law, chiefly in the area of corporate procedure, mergers, acquisitions and reorganizations.
Jag has acted for:
• Burger King Worldwide, Inc., as British Columbia counsel, in connection with its acquisition of Tim Hortons Inc. for approximately US $12.5 billion, including with respect to acquisition structuring and a related private placement of US $2.25 billion of second lien secured notes
• A management group in respect of a management buyout of a technology company
• A private equity firm in connection with the financing of a cellulose mill in British Columbia
• A private equity firm in connection with the acquisition of a specialty metals distribution and processing business with operations in Western Canada and the United States, and the subsequent sale of that business
• A public sector institution with the acquisition and subsequent reorganization of a large publicly traded real estate investment trust
• A private equity firm in connection with the acquisition of a leading tank trailer manufacturing business