Ian advises and represents public utilities, power marketers, oil and gas companies, and alternative energy producers on regulatory requirements and proceedings, commercial transactions and energy trade matters. Ian acts for the largest electric utility in British Columbia in connection with the regulation of its rates and services. He advises on the rules of access to transportation services for electricity and natural gas. He also advises participants in the emerging biofuel and alternative energy sectors.
• Acted for the largest electric utility in B.C. in connection with applications before the B.C. Utilities Commission (BCUC) for approval to increase rates, amend tariffs, and of long-term resource plans
• Advised the electric utility on all aspects of its rates and tariffs for industrial customers
• Acted for the electric utility in connection with the development of a new transmission line in northwest B.C.
• Advised investors considering the purchase of electricity generation assets in B.C.
• Acted for an electric utility in connection with applications before the BCUC related to potential arbitrage of the utility’s low cost power by customers with their own generation capability
• Acted for a natural gas storage service provider in applications to the BCUC for exemption from economic regulation and disposition of assets
• Acted for an oil products shipper in proceedings before the BCUC related to a proposal to increase pipeline tolls based on diminished economic life considerations
• Assisted an electric utility and its power marketing affiliate in developing standards of conduct for transmission information
• Assisted a B.C. power marketing company in making changes in status filings with FERC