Heather is the National Chair of the Real Estate Practice Group at Osler, one of the best commercial real estate law firms in Canada. Her practice encompasses a wide range of top real estate transactions and debt financing transactions, in the mixed use, retail, office, manufacturing and hospitality sectors. She has been with the Firm since 1980. She is the author of the Canada chapter in The International Comparative Legal Guide to Real Estate 2015 and 2016 and of Purchasing Real Estate in Canada in European Lawyer. She has served on the Board of Directors of Toronto CREW and as Canada’s delegate to the U.S. based CREW Network and continues to be a member. For three years, Heather served as Managing Partner of the firm, with responsibility for business strategy and client relationship management, and as a member of the firm's Executive Committee.
- Ventas Inc. on its proposed $980 million acquisition of 29 independent living seniors housing communities across Canada from Holiday Retirement Corp.
- Target Corporation, the second largest retailer in the U.S., in connection with its establishment of operations in Canada, including the $1.825 billion acquisition of Zellers store leases.
- General Motors in connection with its successful restructuring and government financing, the GM Beacon Project (the largest and most comprehensive automotive investment in Canadian history, involving government funding from the Government of Canada and Province of Ontario), GM’s cross-border syndicated credit facilities, sales of the Locomotive and Defense businesses, dealer network matters and the development of GM’s powerhouse project and equipment lease financing from Bank of Nova Scotia.
- OMERS Realty Corporation/Oxford Properties in connection with the Canada Trust Tower at BCE Place, 161 Bay Street, Toronto; Waterpark Place, Toronto; Apartment Complex, 1750 Lawrence Avenue, Toronto; the Royal Bank Data Centre portfolio; and on various acquisitions and sales, co-ownerships and financings of their real estate.
- Irving Oil in connection with its convenience store/gas station joint venture with Couche-Tard and with numerous credit facilities.
- MCAP Service Corporation, as corporate counsel.
- Hydro One in connection with numerous syndicated credit facilities.
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board on its joint venture investment in retirement homes with Retirement Residences REIT.
- Vale Inco with numerous syndicated credit facilities.
- Bank of Montreal on its bond offering and a credit facility provided to Trans-Northern Pipelines Inc.
- Citibank in connection with a syndicated loan facility to fund the acquisition of Fairmont Hotels and Raffles Hotels secured by various hotels, including ground leases of Crown Lands.