John Godber is National Leader of the Business and Corporate Commercial Group.
He specializes in corporate law with an emphasis on mergers and acquisitions, including advising and participating in public and private company mergers and acquisitions; advising and participating in corporate finance transactions such as private placements and public financings, including initial public offering of securities; and advising and participating in corporate reorganizations, international joint ventures, mergers and divestitures for both closely and widely held corporations.
John is the client relationship partner for BLG Adroit: the Firm’s project management and legal process improvement program.
- Advised Bell Canada on its joint venture with the Cirque du Soleil.
- Acted for the independent directors of KP Tissue Inc. in connection with its initial public offering of securities.
- Acted for lead underwriter, TD Securities, in connection with a $50 million offering of preferred share securities by Innergex Renewable Energy Inc.
- Advised The Co-operators Group Limited in connection with its $306.5-million public acquisition of Addenda Capital Inc.
- Acted for the Independent Committee of Trustees of Medisys Health Income Fund in connection with the fund’s going private transaction.
- Advised lead underwriters, BMO Nesbitt Burns and CIBC World Markets, in the $115-million initial public offering of securities of Innergex Renewable Energy Inc.
- Advised the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador in connection with its purchase of rights in an undersea fibre-optic network between Newfoundland and Nova Scotia.
- Acted for Miranda Technologies Inc., a global developer and manufacturer of hardware and software for the television broadcast industry, on its $156-million initial public offering and secondary offering of securities.
- Advised MAAX Inc. in connection with its $640-million successful public auction and sale process.
- Advised BMO Nesbitt Burns and TD Securities in the initial public offering of fund units of Innergex Power Income Fund.
- Advised Bell Canada and Bell Nordiq Income Fund in the fund's $326-million initial public offering of units.
Publications and Presentations
- Speaker, “La gestion de projet : mode de facturation alternatif”, Congrès du Barreau du Québec, June 2012.
- Panel Chair, “Demonstrating In-House Counsel Business Value in the International Context,” Canadian Corporate Counsel Association World Summit, April 2012.
- Co-Chair and Speaker, “The Negotiation and Drafting of Commercial Agreements,” Insight Information Eighth Edition, January 2011.
- Co-Chair and Speaker, “Legal and Business Guide on International and Crossborder Contracts,” The Canadian Institute Conference, April 2010.
- Speaker, “Creating a Due Diligence Framework,” Federated Press Due Diligence Conferences, November 2007 & April 2008.
- Speaker, “Securities and Capital Market’s Agreements,” Federated Press Drafting and Negotiating Business Contracts, May 22-23, 2007.
- Speaker, “Complexities of Foreign Joint Ventures,” Insight Information Joint Venture Conference, December 6-7, 2006.
- Co-Chair and Speaker, “Liability of Directors and Officers in Public Company Mergers and Acquisitions,” The Canadian Institute Mergers and Acquisitions Conference, October 2006.
- Speaker, “Unitholder Liability,” The Canadian Institute Conference on Income Trusts, March 2005.
- Panel Chair, “Maximizing Relations with Outside Law Firms,” The Canadian Institute In-House Legal Counsel Conferences, February 2004 & 2005.
- Speaker, “Management and Protection of Confidential Information in Merger and Acquisition Transactions,” The Canadian Institute Advanced Seminars on Mergers and Acquisitions, October 2004 & 2005.
Rankings and Recognitions
- Rankings & Recognitions Selected by peers for inclusion in the 2013 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada® (Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law).
- Recognized in the 2012 edition of The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory (Consistently recommended for Corporate mid-market and repeatedly recommended in Biotechnology, Corporate Commercial Law, Corporate Finance & Securities, Mergers & Acquisitions and Private Equity).
- Martindale-Hubbell® BV® Distinguished™ 4.4 out of 5 Peer Review Rated.