H. Barry Vasios is a partner in the Litigation Practice
Group of Holland & Knight's New York City office. He was admitted to the bar
in 1973 and has practiced as a commercial litigator since then. He has handled
cases involving antitrust, securities, contract, legal malpractice, reinsurance,
trusts and estates and environmental law issues, as well as ICC, AAA, and ad hoc
arbitrations and SEC investigations. Mr. Vasios also practices in the area of
He clerked for the late Judge Arnold Bauman in the United States District
Court for the Southern District of New York.
Some significant matters he has worked on include:
- Successful representation of a foreign government in dissolving a temporary
restraining order which froze the government’s assets in U.S. in a proceeding to
enforce a foreign arbitral award.
- Successful representation of an international law firm in a dispute with a
former partner who claimed the right to certain payments for the remainder of
- Successful representation of national intellectual property law firm in AAA
arbitration involving claims of misappropriation of trade secrets and unfair
competition and related claim of malpractice asserted in a Federal lawsuit.
- Representation of a foreign manufacturing company in connection with a
criminal price-fixing investigation conducted by the Antitrust Division of the
U.S. Justice Department.
- Successful representation of a leading New York law firm in the defense of a
third party claim brought by an accounting firm which was a defendant in a 10b-5
action. He also represented that law firm in a malpractice case which he tried
to judgment, and won. That judgment was affirmed on appeal.
- Successful representation of the owner of a bankrupt corporation against
claims of fraud and breach of an environmental indemnity agreement in a trial in
Federal Bankruptcy Court. The decision was affirmed on appeal.
- Representation of a foreign client in the defense of a 10b-5 action arising
out of the sale of a business. That case, which settled before trial, also
involved companion arbitrations before the ICC in Paris and the AAA in New York.
- Successful representation of the Government of Dubai, which was sued in the
Southern District of New York on claims that certain creditors were unfairly
treated in Dubai bankruptcy proceedings. A motion to dismiss on foreign
sovereign immunity grounds, denied by the trial judge, was granted by the Second
- Representation of Rolls Royce PLC as a secured creditor in the bankruptcies
of Eastern Airlines and TWA.
- Representation of the foreign receivers of two bankrupt Finnish reinsurance
companies in ancillary proceedings in federal bankruptcy court in New York which
were concluded successfully.
- Representation of foreign reinsurance company in arbitration and commutation
- Representation of the seller of an insurance company in connection with a
post-closing price adjustment arbitration, which settled after several days of
- He successfully tried a case on behalf of the beneficiaries of a trust who
sought invasions of principal from the trust, where the trustees had absolute
and uncontrolled discretion to grant or deny such invasions requests.
- He successfully defended at trial a claim that a constructive trust be
imposed on stock in a closely held corporation.
- Successful defense of a foreign law firm in a third party action claiming
malpractice involved in the recovery of art stolen by the Nazis.