Grant is a leading practitioner in the areas of insolvency, restructuring and banking law with a particular emphasis on the exercise of creditors' rights and cross-border hedge fund structures. He frequently acts for chartered banks, insurance companies and other financial institutions and as independent counsel to court officers, such as receivers, bankruptcy trustees and monitors in CCAA proceedings.
- Chambers Global The World's Leading Lawyers for Business (Restructuring/Insolvency)
- 2015 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada® (Insolvency & Financial Restructuring)
- Rated as Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell.
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
Grant is a speaker and writer for various professional associations in matters relating to insolvency law and is a contributor to the Lexis Practice Advisor (Asset Purchase Agreements). Recent papers and presentations include:
- Panelist, The Troublesome Class Action/CCAA/Bankruptcy Overlap (12th National Symposium on Class Actions, 2015)
- "Managing the Claims of Taxing Authorities in Insolvency Proceedings" (Journal of the Insolvency Institute of Canada, Volume 3, 2014)
- Moderator, 2014 TMA Panel on CRA Claims in Insolvency Proceedings
- Panelist, The Creative Use of CBCA Plans of Arrangement (2014, OBA Insolvency Section Annual Retreat)
- "Conducting Corporate Reorganization under Trinidad & Tobago's Reformed Insolvency Legislation" (Trinidad & Tobago, World Bank Technical Assistance Project, 2014)
- "Chief Restructuring Officer" or "Cost-Effective Restructuring Option" (see INSOL International newsletter, July 2012)
- "Priority of BIA Charges" (Canadian Institute 2010)
- "Enforcing Security: Creative Remedies" (Osgoode Intensive Course in Insolvency and Restructuring 2009)
- "Key Elements of Forbearance Agreements" (Commercial Loan and Finance Security Conference 2009)
- "Brokerage Firm Insolvency" (2009 World Bank Insolvency and Creditor Rights Task Force - Working Group on Insolvency of Non-Bank Financial Institutions)
He has also been an instructor for the Advanced Insolvency Course at the University of Windsor Faculty of Law and Creditors' Rights Section of the Ontario Bar Admission Course.
- Advising the DIP Lender and senior secured creditor in the CCAA proceedings for Mady Collier Centre Ltd.
- Advising the DIP Lender in the CCAA proceedings for U. S. Steel Canada Inc.
- Advised the court-appointed Chief Restructuring Officer in the CCAA proceeding for the Northstar Aerospace group of companies
- Advising the senior secured lender in the CCAA proceeding for Extreme Fitness, Inc.
- Advising the Monitor in the CCAA proceeding for the Valle Foam Industries group of companies, manufacturers of foam products and defendants in a series of class actions commenced in Canada and the United States
- Advising the Monitor in the CCAA proceeding for Olympus United Funds Corp., commenced by its Court-appointed Receiver to implement a multi-million dollar settlement with the company's former auditors
- Advising the Court-appointed Receiver of the Norshield group of companies, part of a hedge fund investment structure which raised more than $130 million from retail investors in Canada and involves cross-border proceedings in the United States, Barbados and the Commonwealth of the Bahamas
- Advised Marriott Hotels of Canada Ltd., the former operator of the Red Leaves resort hotel and condominium development in Minett, Ontario in connection with the receivership of The Rosseau Resort Developments Inc.
- Advising the Court-appointed Receiver of Capital Bank International Limited in Grenada
- Advised Canada's best known retailer of china and crystal in connection with the restructuring and ultimate sale of its assets and business operations
- Advised the Court-appointed Receiver of Hidden Valley Resort, The Elora Mill Inn and the Benmiller Inn & Spa
- Advised Key Porter Books Limited and H.B. Fenn and Company Ltd., formerly Canada's largest book distributor
- Advised the Monitor in the CCAA proceeding for Brainhunter Inc., a pubicly traded provider of information technology and engineering staffing services
Grant is a member of the Insolvency Institute of Canada, the Canadian Bar Association, The Advocates' Society, the Turnaround Management Assocation, INSOL International, and the Canadian Insolvency Foundation. He is also a member of the Insolvency Law Section of the Ontario Bar Association.