Over the past 23 years Jerry Melchiode has honed his legal skills enabling him to balance his clients’ economic concerns with pro-active dispute resolution in the areas of construction, insurance, transportation, marine, product liability, professional liability, property, commercial litigation, and environmental/toxic tort liability. Jerry is licensed to practice in Louisiana and Texas, as well as the United States Court of Federal Claims. His diverse construction law experience includes representation of owners, contractors and design professionals in all aspects of construction, both public and private, from bidding, contract drafting, and delay claims to construction defect litigation. His experience includes complex issues involving roof failures, soil subsidence, foundation failures, plumbing and HVAC problems.
His insurance experience goes beyond the construction arena and he represents standard and surplus lines insurers in a broad array of product lines. He handles both coverage and defense matters, and represents insurers in bad faith litigation.
Some of his successes include the following matters;
· Prevailed on a public bid protest for a general contractor regarding a $4,500,000 university building project.
· Obtained a federal court jury verdict for a general contractor in a delay and products liability claim on a public highway ITS project against a supplier and subcontractor.
· Defeated a multi-million dollar subrogation claim against a roofing client in a complex AAA arbitration.
· Obtained a defense verdict in a premises liability jury trial in Baton Rouge state court.
· Successfully defended a general contractor against Hurricane Katrina levee failure class action.
· Clarified the law for the surplus lines insurance industry through two reported Louisiana state court decisions on notice and constructive delivery issues.
Jerry is an active member of the Associated Builders and Contractors and the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel, lecturing on insurance and construction issues for both organizations. He has lectured on various topics ranging from delay claims to trends in the insurance market. He is also a member of the Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel. Jerry participates in various philanthropic activities including Kickball for ALS and the St. Jude Charity Tennis Tournament.
Jerry was selected a 2009, 2012, 2013, “Top Lawyer” in New Orleans Magazine. Jerry is also an AV-rated attorney with Martindale Hubbell.
After receiving his Bachelor’s Degree in Economics from the University of Texas, Austin, Jerry obtained his Juris Doctorate from Southern Methodist University. Jerry is married and has three children, and has called New Orleans home for the last 24 years.