Geoff practises corporate and securities law, and primarily private and public financings, M&A transactions and strategic commercial matters focussed on the technology sector. As a founder and Co-chair of Osler’s Emerging Companies Group, he works with a broad spectrum of technology and life sciences companies (including privately held high-growth companies and start-ups) as well as the venture capital funds and high net worth investors that finance them. Geoff has been involved in over 100 venture capital financings and numerous public and private M&A transactions. Geoff leads Osler’s support for the Creative Destruction Lab at the Rotman School of Business and also for The Next 36, Canada’s Entrepreneurial Leadership Institute and advises many of the ventures established by TN36 participants.
In addition, Geoff has extensive experience advising North American clients on transactions in the Asia-Pacific region, including India, Singapore, Sri Lanka and Indonesia. With this expertise, he co-leads the firm’s Asia-Pacific initiative, with specific responsibility for India. Geoff is recognized in Lexpert, Best Lawyers and Martindale-Hubbell.
- Acted for Madison Dearborn Partners, a leading private equity firm based in Chicago, IL, in its investment in Complete Innovations (CI), one of North America's fastest growing providers of fleet telematics and mobile workforce technology, based in Markham, Ontario. As part of the investment terms, representatives of Madison Dearborn have joined CI’s Board of Directors.
- Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan in connection with their joint acquisition of Q9 Networks with Bell Canada, Providence Equity Partners and Madison Dearborn Partners for approximately C$1.1 billion.
- Google Inc. in multiple acquisitions of Canadian technology businesses, including Bufferbox Inc., PushLife, PostRank, Bump Technologies, Inc. and SocialDeck.
- InterTAN Canada Inc. (Circuit City’s Canadian subsidiary) in its CCAA proceedings and the sale by it, under a Court-supervised auction process, of all of the assets of The Source by Circuit City to Bell Canada.
- SonoSite Inc. in its June 2010 acquisition of VisualSonics, Inc. for US$71 million.
- MPM Capital and other preferred share investors in NeuroMed Pharmaceuticals Ltd. in connection with its December 2009 merger of equals with CombinatoRx, Inc. (a NASDAQ company).
- Preferred share investors in Epocal Inc. in connection with the structured acquisition transaction pursuant to which Inverness Medical Innovations (now Alere) acquired Epocal.
- TSX Group Inc. in its acquisition of ScotiaCapital’s fixed income indices and related software products and database.
- Traxtal Inc. and its shareholders in the sale of this innovative medical technology company to Philips.
- Genesys Ventures IA LP in its acquisition of certain portfolio positions of New Generation Biotech (Equity) Fund Inc. and Biotech Breakthrough Fund (I) Inc.
- Affinium Pharmaceuticals in its BIA proposal that resulted in a VC-sponsored recapitalization; its subsequent $18 million exchangeable share financing to fund clinical trials of resistance-proof oral antibiotics.
- MissionPoint Capital in its $40 million investment (with Zouk Ventures) in Trilliant Incorporated.
- Multiple emerging technology companies and early stage investors in connection with various private financing transactions.