Gail Otsuka Ayabe concentrates her practice in the areas of real estate and general business law. Ms. Ayabe's experience includes work on real estate developments, sales and acquisitions of real property, mortgage financing, condominiums, subdivisions, commercial leasing, homeowners’ associations, purchase and sale of businesses, and other related real estate and business matters. She has prepared the condominium and sales documentation for, and has registered, over 100 condominium projects in Hawai‘i.
Examples of her work include:
- Transactional Work: Represents sellers and buyers in sales, acquisitions, development, leasing and financing transactions involving commercial and residential properties. Major transactions include work on the transfer of ownership of the Island of Lanai.
- Mixed Use Developments: Works on mixed use developments including the acquisition of property and the development of a mid-rise condominium project with commercial and residential components in the Kakaako Community Development District under the authority of the Housing Community Development Authority of the State of Hawaii.
- Resort and Residential Developments: Prepares condominium and sales documentation and Hawai‘i Real Estate Commission filings for condominium projects. Prepares documentation for subdivisions, including declarations of restrictive covenants, homeowners’ association documents and sales documents. Prepares Interstate Land Sales Full Disclosure Act and Hawai‘i Uniform Land Sales filings. Advises master developers in the structure of the master association, during the period of the developer’s control over the master association, and in the transition of responsibilities from the developer to the master association. Resort development projects include the Mauna Lani Resort, the Manele Bay Resort, the Hualalai Resort, the Kohanaiki Resort, the Kai Malu at Wailea project located at the Wailea Resort and the Kai Lani project located at the Ko Olina Resort. Examples of residential development projects include work on most of the multi-family developments in Mililani Mauka, several multi-family developments in Kapolei, and the Ho`onani subdivision and condominium projects located in Ewa, Hawai‘i.
- Commercial and Industrial Developments: Represents developers in connection with commercial and industrial developments in Hawai‘i, including the Kapolei Commons shopping center and the Armstrong Milltown project, a warehouse condominium property regime.
- Affordable Housing Projects: Works on affordable housing developments pursuant to agreements with the Hawai‘i Housing Finance and Development Corporation and the counties, including the Kealakai at Kapolei and Nohona at Kapolei projects on the Island of Oahu, and the Makana Kai at Wehilani on the Big Island.
Before attending law school, Ms. Ayabe worked for the public accounting firm of Deloitte Haskins & Sells in its Honolulu office. She obtained her Certified Public Accountant license in Hawai‘i in 1984. While in law school, she was an Associate Editor of the UCLA Law Review. Following law school, Ms. Ayabe served as a law clerk for the Honorable Harold M. Fong of the United States District Court for the District of Hawai‘i. She is a former director of the Real Property and Financial Services section of the Hawai‘i State Bar Association and also served as a member of the Blue Ribbon Condominium Law Recodification Advisory Committee which worked on the recodification of Hawai‘i‘s condominium statute.