Mr. Dennehy is a shareholder at Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer, P.A., where he has been an attorney since 1976. He is a member of the firm’s Appellate Practice Group and has appeared frequently before the Appellate Division and the New Jersey Supreme Court. He has extensive experience in Ethics and Malpractice Defense work. He lectures frequently for ICLE, to Bar Associations and regularly to ATLA on topics relating to Professional Responsibility. He provides advice and expert opinion on matters of Ethics, Conflicts of Interest and various other aspects of the Rules of Professional Conduct. He was selected to appear before the Supreme Court to give testimony for the New Jersey State Bar Association prior to the revision of the Rules of Professional Responsibility in 2004. He has represented the New Jersey State Bar as amicus counsel in Professional Responsibility matters on a number of occasions. He argued the case that changed the law of municipal conflicts, In re Advisory Opinion 697, (December 2006) 186 N.J. 250. He was among four attorneys invited to serve with more than twenty judges on the Ad Hoc Committee for the Revision of the Judicial Code of Conduct.
- Member, New Jersey Ad Hoc Committee for the Review of Judicial Code of Conduct, 2008-2009
- Vice Chair, New Jersey State Supreme Court Committee on the Unauthorized Practice of Law, 2002-2008
- Chair, New Jersey State Bar Association Committee on Professional Rules and Responsibility, 2004-2005. Member - present
- New Jersey Law Journal Co-Lawyer of the Year - 2008
- New Jersey State Bar Association's Professional Lawyer of the Year - 2006
- New Jersey State Bar Association Award for Amicus Brief - 2005
Recently Published Article
- When In-House Counsel Leave: The Mandates and Limitations of Opinion 708 of the New Jersey Supreme Court Advisory Committee on Professional Ethics, Legal Ethics For In-House Corporate Counsel, Number 87, pp. A-105 - A-108, The Bureau of National Affairs, Inc. (2007).
Area of Emphasis:
Complex Commercial Litigation
Ethics Defense Work - Professional Responsibility Advice and Opinions
In re Advisory Opinion 697 — 186 NJ 250 (2006). Changed the law with regard to representational conflicts concerning municipalities.
In re Estate of Stockdale — 196 NJ 275 (2008). Changed the law with regard to fee shifting in probate litigation.
In re Opinion 39 of the Committee on Attorney Advertising — 197 NJ 66 (2008). Revised the law on New Jersey legal advertising.