Éric’s practice in litigation and general commercial law is primarily focused on all aspects of litigation and dispute resolution, including advising clients on highly complex litigation or commercial issues and representing them before commercial, civil or administrative tribunals and in arbitration proceedings. He is involved in the defence of high-profile class actions and complex commercial disputes and has solid experience in urgent and special procedures such as injunctions and seizures. Éric is co-chair of Osler’s Class Actions Speciality Group.
- Amex Bank of Canada, in the $300M class action regarding foreign exchange conversion fees charged on credit cards (dismissed on appeal).
- Irving Oil, in its successful defence against a motion for authorization to institute a national class action regarding alleged miscalibration of distributor-type fuel pumps.
- General Motors of Canada Limited, in relation to various actions brought by former Quebec dealers following out-of-court restructuring by GM Canada in 2009-2010.
- Imperial Tobacco Canada Limited, in the files related to the Quebec Medicaid action taken by the Quebec Government against tobacco manufacturers (constitutional challenge to the Tobacco-Related Damages and Health Care Costs Recovery Act – to proceed on the merits in October 2013 – and defence to the $60B lawsuit filed by the Quebec Government in June 2012).
- Bank of Montreal, on appeal of a $12M judgment in favour of the trustee of a former borrower as a result of an alleged abuse of right
- Canadian Bankers' Association, in relation to the References to the Quebec Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Canada regarding the jurisdiction of the Parliament of Canada to create a National Securities Regulator.
- Co-responsible for the defence of the majority shareholders in a $165M oppression remedy dispute
- Aveos Fleet Performance Inc., in relation to a major arbitration regarding the aborted implementation of an Enterprise Resource Planning system.
- PricewaterhouseCoopers, in the recognition of foreign bankruptcy proceedings against George Marciano (founder of Guess Jeans).
- Atomic Energy Canada in the context of a $230M dispute against Hydro-Québec regarding the life extension project of a major nuclear power plant