Eric Dufour is a Partner in our Toronto office and a Chair of our Competition Law Group. Eric specializes in all areas of competition law and foreign investment review providing transactional, litigation and general compliance advice.
Eric has acted on both civil and criminal matters under the Competition Act (Canada), including:
- reviewing mergers and strategic alliances as well as preparing pre-merger notifications, requests for advance rulings and competitive impact submissions;
- advising and representing clients in respect to criminal matters, such as conspiracy, bid-rigging and misleading advertising;
- advising and representing clients in respect to immunity and leniency applications;
- coordinating foreign antitrust filings;
- responding to subpoenas and information requests;
- reviewing and opining on trade practices and representing clients in related challenges;
- negotiating, drafting and reviewing contracts and merger agreements;
- preparing submissions and presentations to the Canadian Competition Bureau;
- reviewing advertisements, contests and promotions; and
- conducting competition law audits and designing compliance programs for corporate clients and trade associations.
Eric provides advice on all aspects of the Investments Canada Act, including:
- reviewing merger transactions, as well as preparing notifications and applications for review;
- negotiating, drafting and reviewing contracts and merger agreements, and
- preparing submissions to and negotiating with, the Investment Review Branch of Industry Canada.
He regularly deals with the Competition Bureau and Industry Canada’s Investment Review Division, and has also acted as counsel in matters involving commercial disputes, class action proceedings, commercial torts, civil actions under the Competition Act and contracts.
Eric has extensive experience with clients in sectors as diverse as financial services, transportation, electricity, publishing, oil and gas, forestry, metals, communications, advertising, food and beverage, manufacturing, retail and information technology, among others. Prior to joining Miller Thomson, he worked in another leading Competition Law Group in Toronto and has also worked in the Mergers Branch of the Competition Bureau.
Eric is fluent in both English and French.