Ed practices in the real estate and municipal law fields with a specialty in real estate development.
Ed has assisted clients in such projects as: redevelopment of industrial sites to permit multi-family residential uses; heritage designation and density bonusing arrangements; rezoning and redevelopment of shopping centres; development of office and industrial parks; development of numerous condominium projects; development and marketing of strata title hotels; restructuring of strata corporation bylaws; purchase of abandoned mining towns; development of mine sites; subdivision of pulp mills and saw mills; assisting municipalities on the redevelopment of downtown urban centres; and commercial lease negotiations for a wide variety of tenants and landlords.
Ed has been involved in large land assemblies, subdivisions, bare land strata plans, air space parcels, real estate acquisitions, financings, sales, and structuring forms of ownership and transactions.
Ed has provided advice to private proponents on public-private partnership matters particularly relating to medical infrastructure and transportation projects.
Working closely with vendors, purchasers and developers, Ed is a trusted advisor in connection with property and development projects spanning a wide variety of commercial, residential, industrial, resort and financing matters. Ed also provides advice on environmental matters in connection with real property.
He is one of the leading experts on strata corporation windups having completed a number of strata corporation windups as well as the first court approved windup in BC. Ed has been an active member of a number of committees over the years proposing changes to strata property law, including the BC Law Institute’s committee that recommended changes to the Strata Property Act that allows for more the flexible rules facilitating windups.
Ed has assisted clients on a number of energy related projects including cogeneration plants, run off river electrical generation plants, electrical transmission lines, and natural gas pipelines and LNG plants.
Ed’s expertise also includes advising clients on the development of standard form documentation in the real estate, strata management and mortgage broker fields and advising professional practicing in those fields.
Ed has been retained by the B.C. Law Society to provide advice on complaints against members and insurance claims in the real estate field. Ed has acted for the Provincial Government and the Land Title and Survey Authority in the development of amendments to the Land Title Act to facilitate the Electronic Filings System and the Digital Plan System. Ed assisted the BC Real Estate Association in drafting sample legislation, much of which found its way into the Real Estate Services Act.
Ed has particular expertise with respect to the unique land issues which arise in relation to the acquisition of and on-going access to linear projects. Ed’s recent representative experience includes:
• Providing BC Hydro with legal assistance in connection with the strategic acquisition of Statutory Right of Way interests over private property for the purposes of the Dawson Creek/ Chetwynd Area Transmission (DCAT) project.
• Acting for one of Canada’s major pipeline companies with respect major natural gas transmission projects
• Advising on obtaining rights to use provincial Crown land for an LNG terminal in the Douglas Channel Energy Partnership in the development and permitting of their LNG project in Douglas Channel, including issues relating to the City of Kitimat’s land use controls.
• Providing another project proponent with legal assistance in connection with the strategic acquisition of Statutory Right of Way interests over crown land and private property for the purposes of a proposed linear project having its terminus in Kitimat.
Ed has also assisted clients in such projects as:
• Redevelopment of industrial sites to permit multi-family residential uses
• Heritage designation and density bonusing arrangements
• Rezoning and redevelopment of shopping centres
• Development of office and industrial parks
• Development of numerous condominium projects
• Development and marketing of strata title hotels
• Marketing of real estate projects located outside of BC in BC
• Restructuring of strata corporation bylaws