Edmund K. Saffery is a partner in the Firm's litigation group and concentrates his practice in the areas of insurance (coverage and defense), retail litigation, title insurance, public contracts, construction litigation, professional malpractice defense and first amendment law. Examples of his work include:
- Insurance Defense, Coverage and Bad Faith Litigation: Regularly advises insurance companies regarding coverage obligations and has defended insureds against a wide array of tort and contract claims. Has also litigated numerous coverage cases involving first party and third party claims for bad faith.
- Title Insurance: Defended Title Insurers and their insureds in various matters related to insurance coverage, bad faith, and claims based on fraud, improper settlement, search error and quiet title.
- Retail Litigation: Defended retailers against a variety of claims, including catastrophic personal injury claims and commercial disputes. Advises retail clients with regard to risk management.
- Construction Litigation: Defended commercial and residential developers against claims by contractors and purchasers.
- Professional Malpractice: Defended attorneys, real estate agents, accountants and medical professionals against malpractice claims.
- First Amendment Law: Defended corporate right to engage in political speech; defended public right to access information pertaining to public employees; defended publisher against claims for defamation.
- Appellate Litigation: Handled cases before the Hawaii Appellate Courts in such areas as Professional Liability, Insurance Coverage and Bad Faith, Products Liability, Wrongful Termination, and Trust and Inheritance Disputes.
- Products Liability: Litigated tort and strict liability claims relating to allegedly defective heart valves, elevators and automobile airbags.
Mr. Saffery was born and raised in Honolulu, Hawaii. In addition to practicing law, Mr. Saffery teaches courses in business law at Hawaii Pacific University where he serves as an adjunct member of the faculty. Mr. Saffery’s professional accomplishments have been recognized in such publications as Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers and Chambers USA’s Listing of America’s Leading Lawyers for Business.
In his spare time, Mr. Saffery is also an avid, albeit mediocre, golfer who hopes to break 80 some time before the end of the decade.