Drew practises in Osler’s Toronto and Calgary offices and specializes in international tax planning for Canadian multinational corporations. He also advises on the Canadian tax issues associated with international mergers, acquisitions and corporate reorganizations for Canadian and foreign clients. Drew has recently acted for clients in the oil and gas, mining, and financial services sectors in relation to foreign affiliate planning and international mergers and acquisitions transactions. Drew has spoken on international tax issues at the Canadian Tax Foundation Annual Tax Conference, the Canadian Petroleum Tax Society, the Tax Officers Meeting of the Canadian Life and Health Insurance Association, the American Bar Association’s spring meeting, and the International Tax Seminar of the International Fiscal Association (Canadian Branch). Drew has also been a guest lecturer at the International Tax course at Osgoode Hall Law School and the University of Toronto.
- Counsel to Manulife Financial Corporation in its $4-billion acquisition of the Canadian-based operations of Standard Life plc. The deal combines Manulife, one of the largest insurance companies in the world, and Standard Life Canada, the country’s fifth-largest insurer.
- Maple Leaf Foods Inc. in connection with the disposition of its 90% interest in Canada Bread Company, Limited for aggregate proceeds to Maple Leaf of $1.65 billion.
- Total E&P Canada Ltd. on the agreement to sell its 49% interest in the Voyageur Upgrader Limited Partnership to Suncor Energy Inc.
- Korea Investment Corporation in its $100 million private placement investment in Osum Oil Sands Corp.
- Korea Investment Corporation on its strategic investment in Laricina Energy.
- Apache Corp. on its acquisition of a partnership and corporation holding oil and gas exploration and production properties located in Western Canada, from BP Canada Energy.
- Toronto Dominion Bank in its acquisition of Commerce Bancorp and The South Financial Group.
- Biovail Corporation in its merger with Valeant.
- NOVA Chemicals Corp. in its acquisition by International Petroleum Investment Corporation.
- Bank of Montreal in its acquisition of AIG’s Canadian life insurance business.
- Golden Crescent Investments Ltd., an affiliate of Citadel Capital, in its proposed sale of National Petroleum Company Egypt Limited, to Sea Dragon Energy Inc.