Donna Bergeson is a health care lawyer and former leader of the firm’s Health Care Group. She is a past chair of the firm’s governing body, known as its Partners’ Committee and also chairs the firm’s Investment Committee. Ms. Bergeson focuses her practice on regulatory compliance for academic medical facilities, hospitals, pharmaceutical companies and medical device manufacturers. Donna made partner as a litigator at Alston & Bird and thereafter transitioned to a practice in health care to follow client demand.
Ms. Bergeson has been identified as a “Leading US Health Care Lawyer” by Euromoney, named one of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, selected by her peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, and listed in Georgia Super Lawyers magazine. She became certified as a procedural coder in 2001 by the American Academy of Professional Coders to facilitate communication with coding and billing staff on compliance engagements and representations of health care providers defending government investigations.
Ms. Bergeson teaches Health Law as an adjunct faculty member of Emory University School of Law and is a past faculty member of the Atlanta College of Trial Advocacy. She frequently writes and speaks on compliance and life sciences related issues to legal and professional organizations across the country.
- General counsel for The Emory Clinic, Inc., the physician practice plan for the Emory University School of Medicine, from 1994-2000.
- Interim chief counsel for the Woodruff Health Sciences Center of Emory University, including the Yerkes Primate Center at Emory University, and chief counsel for the subsidiary entities of Emory Healthcare, Inc. from 2000-2001.
- Outside general counsel for the board of directors of The Georgia Hospital Association from 2007-2010.
- Established a comprehensive compliance program for a university medical facility in Tennessee.
- Established a comprehensive compliance program for a provider of dialysis services with locations throughout the United States.
- Established health care compliance training programs for medical device manufacturers, pharmaceutical companies, and health care providers operating both single site and nationwide locations.
- Assisted numerous health care providers and suppliers with successfully conducting internal compliance investigations and responding to government investigations.