Don’s practice focuses on public company mergers and acquisitions transactions. He has advised on some of Canada’s largest acquisition transactions, including IBM’s acquisition of Cognos Incorporated and Inco Limited in its proposed transactions with Falconbridge Limited and Phelps Dodge Corporation and its eventual sale to Vale. Don also advises private investors in public corporations including the acquisition and disposition of significant security holdings. He has also acted on public and private securities financings, exchangeable share and restricted share transactions, hostile proxy solicitations and dealer fairness opinions and has advised special committees in related party transactions and insider bids.
- International Business Machines Corporation in its acquisition of Cognos Incorporated.
- International Business Machines Corporation in its acquisition of DataMirror Corporation.
- PDX Resources Inc. in its merger with Detour Gold Inc.
- The founder and largest shareholder of Pet Valu, Inc. in the sale of Pet Valu to Roark Capital Group.
- The Special Committee of Royal Utilities Income Fund in connection with the insider bid of Sherritt Inc.
- Southern Copper Corporation in its proposed acquisition of Frontera Copper Corporation.
- Talbot Group Holdings Pty Ltd. in its investment in PBS Coals Limited and subsequent disposition of its interest to Severstal Resources.
- Maple Leaf Foods Inc. in its 2008 subscription receipts offering.
- United States Steel Corporation in its acquisition of Stelco Inc.
- Communications Investment Partners Limited in its acquisition of Stratos Global Corporation.
- Sears Holdings Corporation in its bid to acquire the minority shares of Sears Canada Inc.
- Inco Limited in its proposed transactions with Falconbridge Limited and Phelps Dodge Corporation and its eventual sale to Vale.