David was called to the Bar of Ontario in 1984 after serving as law clerk to Mr. Justice Estey at the Supreme Court of Canada. David has been a partner with Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP since 1989 and his practice covers a range of corporate and commercial litigation, with a particular focus on product and professional liability, securities litigation, shareholder rights, corporate governance and oppression proceedings, and contract and commercial issues. David has extensive experience in defending class actions and regulatory proceedings, and in providing risk management advice for innovative product manufacturers and for professionals and businesses generally.
David has acted as counsel in cases in all levels of the courts of Ontario and in the federal judicial system (including the Ontario Court of Appeal, the Federal Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Canada), and in the courts of other provinces. In addition, he has been counsel in numerous ADR proceedings, including arbitrations, mediations and neutral evaluations.
David was a two term member of the Board of Directors of the Advocates’ Society, Past-Chair and a member of the Board of Directors of the Sir William Campbell Foundation and a past member of the Executive of the Ontario Bar Association Constitutional Law and Civil Liberties Section. He is the Chair of the Osler Product Liability Group and a former member of the firm’s Executive Committee. David also serves as the firm’s Risk Management Partner and Counsel. He has been a guest instructor at Osgoode Hall Law School’s annual Intensive Trial Advocacy Program and has written extensively and spoken frequently at conferences and seminars. David was selected for inclusion in the inaugural and subsequent editions of The Best Lawyers in Canada (Product Liability). He is also recognized as a Litigation Star in Benchmark Litigation Canada 2012 and as a leading lawyer in Chambers Global.
- Providing risk management advice to product manufacturers and distributors and advising on and defending product liability litigation for major corporate clients, including national class proceedings
- Advising on and litigating corporate governance issues, shareholder rights and oppression proceedings
- Advising on and litigating complex contractual and business issues and defending corporations charged with regulatory or quasi-criminal offences
- Providing risk management advice to accountants on issues arising in the course of their practices and defending litigation and discipline proceedings for accountants and other professionals
- Investigating potential frauds against businesses, co-ordinating civil and criminal investigations and proceedings, obtaining injunctions to restrain asset dispersal and litigating to recover assets