1977 - Present
Partner in law firm, Lutz Longstaff Parish, specializing in criminal and family law.
A. Committees, Associations, Appointments and Elected Positions.
1990 - 1991 President - Law Society of New Brunswick.
1992 - 1996 Vice-Chair, Canadian Council of Criminal Defence Lawyers.
1996 - 2008 Treasurer, Canadian Council of Criminal Defence Lawyers.
1994 - Present New Brunswick Criminal Lawyers Association, Treasurer.
1986 - 1991 Federation of Law Societies National Criminal Law Programme, Lecturer.
1988 - 1998 Course Leader, Bar Admission Course, Professional Responsibility.
1988 - Present Lecturer, Bar Admission Course, Criminal and Family Law.
1985 - 1987 Advisory Committee to B.D.A. Study on Legal Aid.
1983 - 1987 New Brunswick Law Society, Legal Aid Chairman.
1983 - 1996 Legal Aid Advisory Committee to the Minister of Justice Chairman: 1992 - 1996.
1995 - Present National Association of Criminal Defence Lawyers.
2001 - 2004 Rules of Court Revision Committee.
2007 - 2010 Attorney General’s Access to Family Justice Task Force.
2008 – Present Law Society Discipline Committee.
B. Legal Experience
- 35 Murder Cases
- Over 100 Jury Trials as both Crown and Defence
- Over 2000 Provincial Court Trials
- Average of 10-12 appearances weekly in Provincial Court and Court of Queen’s Bench, Family Division
- Appeared in Supreme Court of Canada, Court of Appeal of New Brunswick and Superior Courts and Provincial Courts in New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador, Quebec and Ontario
- Over 150 reported cases in Canadian Criminal Cases, Criminal Reports, Family Law Reports, New Brunswick Reports, Canlii
- Principal to 20+ articled law students between 1983 and the present.
- Participant as Defence Expert on Saint John Police Force seminar.
- Taught 2 week Search Warrant Course 2003 to Saint John, Rothesay Regional and RCMP forces.
- Sponsor since 1987 of $500 Criminal Law scholarship at UNB Law School.
1993 - 1997 Vice-President, Kings County Historical & Archival Society.
1997 – 2005 Wrote legal and current affairs column for Telegraph-Journal.
1982 - 1987 Founding Member; Secretary, Board of Directors; Patron; Dr. V.A. Snow Centre.
1979 - 1983 President, Hampton Chamber of Commerce.
1999 - 2003 AIDS Saint John, Board of Directors.
1996 - 1997 Sponsor: Saint John Police Force -Homicide Seminars.
1992 - 1995 Hampton High School Theatre Committee.
1993 - 2011 Hampton High School Bursary & Scholarship Committee.
1999 - 2004 Hampton Credit Union Committee, Chair.
2002 Queen’s Golden Jubilee Medal for Community Service.
2002 – Present Lecturing at area high schools on impact of early pregnancy.
2004 - 2008 John Peters Humphrey Foundation – Legal Counsel.
2005 - 2010 Honorary Consul for Mongolia – Eastern Canada.
2006 – Present Donate $250 per month to Hampton Elementary and Middle School for Breakfast Programme.
2008 - 2010 Lay representative to New Brunswick Dental Society
2010 Acted in Saint John Theatre Company fundraising play – 12 Angry Lawyers
2014 Acted in Saint John Theatre Company fundraising play – Inherit the Wind