Joining Foster Swift in 2006, David Lick is a member of the firm's Commercial Litigation Practice Group.
Dave has more than 30 years experience in the areas of construction law, commercial litigation, public-private partnerships, administrative law and alternative dispute resolution.
Regardless of the matter, David is known for his strategic approach to addressing client matters. Drawing on his undergraduate accounting degree, he uses the numbers as a platform to evaluate the situation. Next, his experience as an arbitrator and a contract administrative law judge enables him to analyze the situation from the vantage point of a prospective judge. Finally, he adds his practical experience and then custom-crafts analysis and arguments for clients.
In the construction arena, David is seasoned in representing the interests of owners, architects, developers, contractors, subcontractors and suppliers at every stage of the process, from drafting initial contracts to project completion including any disputes.
As commercial litigation continues to expand from the courtroom to include many forms of alternative dispute resolution, David regularly represents clients in mediation, arbitration, litigation of business/owner disputes, trade secret disputes, non-compete, confidentiality anti-piracy claims, employment, and employment litigation matters. David is a member of the American Arbitration Association and, is approved Circuit Court Case Evaluator for commercial litigation cases.
David is a nationally known attorney for his knowledge and experience in public-private partnerships. He has developed financing mechanisms for water and wastewater systems, roads, bridges, material recovery facilities, and other infrastructure needs.
In addition to a thriving practice, Dave is very active in the community and serves in numerous leadership roles in legal, professional and community organizations.
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
— Representative Matters
- Represented a construction contractor for accelerated performance and differing site conditions claim against a governmental agency, which was resolved for approximately $2.5 million.
- Provided the analysis, framework and model to utilize public-private partnerships to have a material recovery facility constructed and operated for an eight community authority without any additional cost to the authority or its citizens, which shared in some revenues. Project won an award from the National Counsel of Public-Private Partnerships.
- Represented two communities and a hospital to develop a unique arrangement for the improvement of an expressway interchange. Advices permitted the use of real estate to qualify for federal matching dollars and established a liaison with the Department of Transportation.
- Developed the contracts for contracting out the operation and maintenance and ultimate concession agreement for a municipality with a private operator regarding the water and waste water treatment systems which project resulted in invitation to the Republic of Ireland for a presentation of how to undertake public-private partnerships for infrastructure.
- Represented highly visible public image owners regarding their construction contracts to renovate their facilities and ultimately arbitrate their claims.
- Provided advices to a minority ownership interest in a limited liability company that resulted in a solidification of their interest and control.