David G. Wirtes, Jr. is a member of Cunningham Bounds, LLC, of Mobile, Alabama, where he works behind the scenes on strategic planning, legal issues and appeals.
Dave is admitted to practice before all state and federal courts serving Alabama and Mississippi. He has been rated by his peers as “AV” (preeminent for ethical standards and legal abilities) as shown at www.martindale.com.
Dave helps his colleagues through service in numerous professional organizations. He is a member of the Alabama State Bar Association (www.alabar.org) and has served on its Ethics Committee, its Long-Range Planning Committee and presently serves as an editor of The Alabama Lawyer.
Dave is a long-time member of the Alabama Supreme Court’s (http://judicial.alabama.gov/) Standing Committee on the Rules of Appellate Procedure.
Dave is a member of the Mobile County Bar Association (www.mobilebar.com) and has served on many of its committees, including as Chairman, Ethics Committee; Chairman, Bench and Bar Conference Committee; Co-chairman, Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee; and Member, Grievance Committee.
Dave is a Sustaining Member of the Alabama Association for Justice (www.alabamajustice.org) and has served as a Member of its Board of Governors and Executive Committee (1990-present); Member and/or Chairman of its Amicus Curiae Committee (1990-present); and Co-editor of the Alabama Association for Justice Journal (1996-present);
Dave is also actively involved with the American Association for Justice (www.justice.org) where he previously served as Alabama’s Representative and as a Member of the Board of Governors and continues as a Member of its Amicus Curiae Committee (1999-present).
Dave was nominated by colleagues for appointment as a Fellow of Litigation Counsel of America (www.litcounsel.org) ; Chairman of The American Institute of Appellate Practice (www.appellatepracticeinstitute.org) (one of just ten persons certified nationwide by AIAP as an Appellate Specialist, and the only lawyer so certified in Alabama or Mississippi); a Sustaining Fellow of the Pound Institute (www.roscoepound.org) , and a Sustaining Member and the former Alabama Representative for Public Justice (www.publicjustice.net) .
Dave also helps his colleagues by frequently sharing his knowledge and experiences through speaking at continuing legal education seminars. He has spoken across the country on such topics as Defeating Unlawful Discrimination in Jury Selection, Appellate Practice, Perfecting the Appeal, HIPAA and Ex parte Contacts, Recent Updates on the Law, Electronic Discovery, Arbitration, and Immunity.
Dave is recognized by his peers as worthy of recognition for his service and successes. He is listed in Benchmark Appellate (http://expertguides.com/pdfs/appelate.html) as a “Litigation Star.” He is listed in Best Lawyers in America (www.bestlawyers.com). And he is listed as an Alabama Super Lawyer (www.superlawyers.com/alabama) .
- Member, Alabama and Mississippi State Bar Associations
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Founding member and Chairman, American Institute of Appellate Practice
- Member, Alabama Association of Justice, 1985-present (Board of Governors; Executive Committee; Amicus Curiae Committee (1990-present/Chairman or Co-chairman, 1995-present)
- Member, American Association for Justice, 1985-present (State Delegate; Board of Governors; Member, Amicus Curiae Committee, 1999-present)
- Member, Mobile County Bar Association, 1980-present (Chairman, Ethics Committee; Chairman, Bench and Bar Conference Committee; Co-chairman, Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee; and Member, Grievance Committee)
- Member, Alabama Supreme Court's Standing Committee on Rules of Appellate Procedure
- Co-Editor, The Alabama Lawyer
- Co-Editor, Alabama Association of Justice Journal
- Sustaining Member and the former Alabama Representative for Public Justice
- Sustaining Fellow, Roscoe Pound Institute
- Founding Director, National Board of Appellate Lawyers (a division of the National Board of Trial Advocacy)