Dan, a Columbus, Ohio native, has been a civil trial lawyer since his admission to the practice of law in 1979. He is a member of the Million-Dollar Advocates Forum, was selected by The Best Lawyers in America in its 2006 and 2007 editions and was named an Ohio Super Lawyer by Cincinnati Magazine in 2006. Mr. Volkema is "AV" peer-review rated by Martindale-Hubbell. Dan’s clients have received multiple million-dollar results in cases involving defective products, medical negligence, legal malpractice, insurance bad faith, premises liability, trucking accidents and qui tam, including a recent $3.9 million jury verdict for a woman injured on a roller coaster at a Six Flags theme park. In addition to individual cases, he has served as lead counsel in consumer class actions, and has been among U.S. attorneys who have achieved successful settlement funds between $70 million and $3 billion. Dan is a frequent lecturer for state and local bar associations on topics such as traumatic brain injuries, legal and medical malpractice and trial practice and tactics. He currently sits on the board of the Ohio Academy of Trial Lawyers and is a member of the Franklin County Trial Lawyers, the Ohio State Bar Association, the Columbus Bar Association and the American Association for Justice. Dan is licensed in Ohio and admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of the United States, the United States Court of Claims, the United States Court of Appeals, Third and Sixth Circuits, and the United States District Court, Southern and Northern Districts of Ohio.
- In 2007, Dan was trial counsel for a woman injured in a trucking accident and obtained a jury verdict in the amount of $750,000.00.
- In 2006, Dan was lead counsel in a case that resulted in a 3.6 million dollar verdict for a Wisconsin woman severely injured while riding a roller coaster at a northeast Ohio amusement park.
- Since 2003, Mr. Volkema’s case work has included his participation on a legal team that brought the Cooper Tire Litigation to Ohio. He was the local MDL attorney on the case, which settled for more than $3 billion. Mr. Volkema also settled a medical negligence case for $5 million, an intentional tort case for $2.6 million, a toxic dialysis treatment case for $1 million, a legal malpractice case for $950,000, and another intentional tort case for $850,000 during that time.
- October 5, 2009 – Provaznik v. Charles.
On behalf of his client Mr. Volkema obtained a verdict of 1.75 million dollars. This verdict was a record for a personal injury verdict in Scioto County Ohio. It was an automobile collision involving a mild traumatic brain injury.
- November 14, 2013— Webb v. Fire Safety Solutions, $4,314,186.00