Corlis Chang concentrates her practice in the area of litigation with particular emphasis on personal injury, products liability, municipal law, malpractice, construction and insurance cases. Examples of her work include:
- Personal Injury: Successfully handled numerous types of personal injury actions ranging from premises liability, false arrest, abuse of process, malicious prosecution, to wrongful death. Briefed, argued and won appeal in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in a maritime personal injury case. Obtained verdict for a client in a medical malpractice action involving informed consent.
- Products Liability: Defended manufacturers of various products, with particular emphasis on medical device and pharmaceutical products. As member of the trial team, obtained defense jury verdict for a major pharmaceutical manufacturer.
- Municipal Law: Represented municipality in personal injury and civil rights claims, as well as a breach of contract suits and constitutional issues. Handled administrative hearings prosecution for municipalities.
- Malpractice: Successfully defended nursing homes for claims of malpractice. Advises nursing homes as to practices and standards.
- Insurance: Advised on coverage issues and defended insurance company in numerous first party claims. Successfully won motion for summary judgment limiting the applicability of underinsured motorist coverage, which was upheld by the Hawaii Supreme Court. Presently serves as Claims Review Counsel for HAPI (Self-insured physicians organization).
- Construction: In a fourteen day arbitration, successfully defended owner of a golf course against change order claims totaling over $5 million brought by a general contractor. Advised and successfully defended contractors on claims made to the Contractors Licensing Board.
Ms. Chang recently finished her term as a Police Commissioner for the City and County of Honolulu. This followed two three-year terms on the Hawai‘i Supreme Court Disciplinary Board for attorney discipline. Ms. Chang is a 1998 Member of the Pacific Century Fellows (“PCF”), a select group of Hawai‘i’s young leaders which is patterned after the White House Fellows. Ms. Chang is also a mentor in the Junior Pacific Century Fellows Program, founded as an adjunct to PCF, which is designed to provide guidance, mentoring and assistance to high school freshmen. Ms. Chang has been named by Chambers USA as one of the leading litigators in Hawai‘i. Ms. Chang also serves as President of Distinguished Young Women of Hawaii, a scholarship program for high school senior girls.