Colin Brousson is a partner in the Vancouver office of the firm and national leader of the firm's Restructuring and Insolvency Group. He advises clients on corporate reorganizations, bankruptcies, receiverships, foreclosures, and loan workout situations.
Colin has an extensive record of representing major stakeholders in corporate restructuring engagements in various industries. He acts for all parties affected by the insolvency process including: debtors, lenders, purchasers, secured and unsecured creditors, and directors, as well as various accounting firms in their capacity as trustees, receivers and monitors.
He is a member of the Insolvency Institute of Canada, an organization that recognizes excellence in the area of insolvency and restructuring. He has been recognized by The Best Lawyers in Canada and is named as a leading practitioner in the area of insolvency and restructuring law by the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory. Colin has also been ranked by Chambers Global for restructuring and insolvency and by Benchmark Canada, which named a "litigation star" for insolvency. He is co-chair of the B.C. Model Order Committee, responsible for production and revision of model orders used in all insolvency proceedings in the province of British Columbia.
Additionally, Colin practises in the area of Aboriginal law.
Colin's representative engagements include:
- Representing the major secured creditors in the CCAA proceedings of League Assets, Aviawest, Worldspan, Sterling Shoes, Encore Developments, Marine Drive/Windnsea, the Shire Group, Abenante Motor Sports, and Blackburn Developments Ltd.
- Representing debtors in the CCAA proceedings of Stanfield Mining Group, Redcorp Mining, Hayes Forest Products, Coe Newnes McGehee, Ted Leroy Trucking Ltd., and Sweetwater Developments
- Representing directors, purchasers, investors and/or other interested parties in the CCAA proceedings of King Pacific Lodge, Jameson House, Forest & Marine, Pope & Talbot, and Tagish Lake Gold Corp.
- Representing trustees in bankruptcy, monitors and receivers in the insolvency proceedings for Can Pacific Farms, Jackpine, "Please Mum", TS Kwon, A & B Sound, Perimeter Transportation, Pollard Equipment, Ian Thow and related companies, the Geotivity Group, Apex Manufacturing and XCellulose Resources Inc.
- Representing the major secured creditors in the receiverships of Aviawest, Millennium Evelyn, Hoo Ming Developments, Pemberton Gateway Village Hotel, Island Apple, Bay City Auto, Prima Electronics, Langley Suzuki, B.M. Jet Corp., Whisper Ridge Developments, CC Helicopters, Upholstery Arts, Teco Resource Group, Pacific Spas, CTL Steel, Pacific Van and Camper, Big Island Inflata-Boats, Swanberg Air, and Beaver Air
- Representing the First Nations Financial Management Board
- Representing CMHC on numerous commercial matters including the Squamish Pointe of View CCAA and subsequent receivership proceedings
- Representing HSBC, CIBC, RBC, BDC, Timbercreek Asset Management, Sprott Resource, General Electric and other lenders in various collection matters