Clay, a nationally and internationally recognized leading advisor for mergers and acquisitions in Canada, is Vice-chair of the firm. He is named by The 2011 International Who’s Who Legal as one of the Top 10 Most Highly Regarded Mergers and Acquisition Individuals in the World (the only Canadian to receive this honour). Clay has extensive experience in counselling senior management and Boards of Directors of leading public and private corporations. He has acted on many significant transactions with U.S. and international law firms and investment banks, particularly in respect of cross border transactions. Clay was lead counsel to the “Wise Persons’ Committee” appointed to recommend the best securities regulatory system for Canada and, as a former managing partner of the New York office, worked extensively in cross-border acquisitions, divestitures and financing. He is a former sessional lecturer and has spoken to legal and business audiences internationally.
- Shoppers Drug Mart in connection with its proposed $12.4 billion acquisition by Loblaw Companies Limited.
- Valeant Pharmaceuticals International as Canadian counsel in connection with its $8.7 billion acquisition of Bausch + Lomb.
- The London Stock Exchange in its proposed merger with TMX Group.
- Equinox Minerals in its offer for Lundin, response to the Minmetals bid and acquisition agreement with Barrick.
- Kinross Gold in its business combination with Red Back Mining.
- Goldcorp in connection with the sale of its controlling interest in Terrane to Thompson Creek Minerals.
- Addax Petroleum in connection with its acquisition by Sinopec International Petroleum Exploration and Production Corporation.
- IPSCO Inc. in its sale to SSAB of Sweden.
- Telus Inc. in its participation in the sale process for BCE Inc.
- Kinross Gold in its acquisition of Aurelian Resources.
- Lundin Mining in its proposed business combination with HudBay Minerals Inc.
- Placer Dome Inc. in the unsolicited offer by and acquisition by Barrick Gold Corporation.
- China National Petroleum Corporation International in its acquisition by plan of arrangement of Petrokazakhstan.
- Glamis Gold Corp. in its agreement to combine with Goldcorp.
- Torstar Corporation in connection with its agreement to sell its interest in CTVglobemedia to BCE Inc.
- Special Committee of the Board of Directors of Lafarge North America in the offer by Lafarge S.A. to acquire the 46.8% minority held stake.
- Counsel to Tim Hortons in the creation of a new Canadian holding company for Tim Hortons and Burger King Worldwide
- Counsel to Valeant in connection with its arrangements with Pershing Square and exchange offer for Allergan.