As a partner in the Financial Services Group and a member of the firm’s Private Equity and Infrastructure teams, Charles Newman’s practice focuses on all types of secured and unsecured lending transactions, including cross-border transactions, project/infrastructure financings, syndicated loan transactions, asset-based and real estate based lending matters. He also does extensive work in the subordinated and convertible debt areas (representing both borrowers and lenders) and in the areas of restructuring and treasury management.
A few examples of Charles’ work include:
- Representing Infrastructure Ontario and the Ministry of Transportation in relation to the Highway 407 East Extension project (Phase 1 expected to be open to traffic in late 2015 and Phase 2 expected to be fully completed by 2020)
- Representing Hilco (UK) Ltd. its purchase of $130 million of the Kraus Group's debt and security from three secured lenders
- Advising Silver Wheaton on the security and intercreditor aspects of its purchase of silver and gold production from HudBay Minerals
- Representing Sprott Power Corp. in its $61 million debt financing for the Amherst, Nova Scotia Wind Power Generation Project, a joint venture with Firelight Infrastructure Partners
- Assisting Harley Davidson Canada in connection with its renewal of syndicated credit facilities totalling US$675 million to support its and HDFS Canada’s commercial paper program and to fund its and HDFS Canada’s lending and other operations in Canada
- Acting for the Federal Government of Canada, through Industry Canada, in connection with the refinancings of both General Motors and Chrysler
- Advising Worldlynx Wireless LP in connection with the financing of its acquisition of 10 Bell Mobility independent wireless dealers across Canada (involving over 60 retail locations nationwide)
- Acting as Canadian counsel for Bear Stearns & Co. Inc. and RBC Capital Markets, in their capacities as co-lead arrangers and joint bookrunners, in respect of their financing of the $1.37 billion acquisition of Gateway Casinos Income Fund and Gateway Casinos Inc. by New World Gaming Partners Ltd., a joint venture owned by Macquarie Group Limited and Crown Limited (formerly Publishing and Broadcasting Limited)
- Acting extensively for the Return on Innovation Capital group of funds in connection with their investments in equity, quasi-equity and qualified debt obligations
- Routinely acting on behalf of numerous lenders, borrowers and receivers in connection with special accounts, work-out related, security enforcement and receivership files in an insolvency and restructuring context
To view Charles' complete profile, please click here.