For over 20 years – including eight years as in-house counsel for a large national health care company – Carol Bowen has focused exclusively on representation of health care providers and other stakeholders in the health care industry.
Her legal knowledge, coupled with a practical and responsive approach, helps clients achieve their business goals within the complex health law framework.
Ms. Bowen’s clients include major health care companies, hospitals, physician groups, entrepreneurial health care businesses and national lenders within the industry.
Representative services to these clients include:
- Joint ventures among large physician groups, hospitals, and other sophisticated health care providers
- Electronic health records issues, including negotiation of EHR vendor agreements, compliance with meaningful use criteria and Stimulus Act incentives requirements
- Transactional matters, including acquisitions and financings
- Regulatory compliance, including Federal fraud and abuse laws, Stark laws and similar state law issues
- HIPAA compliance
- Medicare, Medicaid and third-party payor reimbursement
- Medical- staff bylaws and peer review
- Patient care and risk management
- Development of compliance plans
- Clinical research issues, including negotiation and drafting of clinical trial agreements for hospitals and physician groups, Medicare reimbursement, informed consent and the use and disclosure of information for research purposes.
Ms. Bowen leads the Firm’s Health Law practice in the Charlotte office. She is a frequent speaker for client and industry groups on health care issues and has served as an editorial consultant to several health care publications.
- Selected as a North Carolina Top Rated Lawyer by Martindale-Hubbell.
- 2013 Women in Business Award Winner, presented by the Charlotte Business Journal.
- Selected for inclusion to the 2011 Top 50 Women North Carolina Supers Lawyers, which is included in the North Carolina Super Lawyers magazine.
- American Bar Association Health Law Section- Member and Vice Chair, Membership, 2010-2011