As a partner in the Securities Group and a key member of the Firm’s Mining Practice Group, one of the largest and most experienced mining groups in the world, Cam Mingay’s diverse practice covers the areas of M&A, securities, natural resource and clean tech law. He has extensive experience in representing companies and investment dealers in all manner of public and private corporate finance transactions. He acts as lead counsel for a number of public clients and serves as counsel to a number of investment dealers on corporate finance matters.
Cam was instrumental in providing advice in the formative stages of multi-billion market cap mining companies such as Kinross Gold and New Gold, the latter company being a top performer in the gold sector in 2011. Cam continued to provide advice to each of these companies though their various growth phases and in developing their policies in the areas of corporate governance and corporate social responsibility. He has used his entrepreneurial instincts to assist a number of companies grow from start-ups to mid to large cap companies, including tech companies such as Dell Canada, where he was the incorporating lawyer and first corporate secretary and clean tech companies such as the IPO for Global Water, which Cam advised on its northbound cross-border offering and TSX listing in 2011. While Cam has acted as the lead counsel on many significant cross-border acquisitions, he has also acted in the past several years on smaller M&A transactions where clients had limited in-house resources, including the business combination of Sierra Minerals and Goldgroup Resources and the takeover of Castle Gold by Argonaut Gold, where his innovative structuring ideas were the subject of an article in the “Art of the Deal” section of Lexpert. For a copy of the article, please click here.
Cam leads our China Mining Group and in this capacity he is leading an initiative to enlighten Chinese mining investors as to the favourable investment climate in Canada and to provide them with the tools with which to successfully invest in the natural resources sector in this country.
Over the past several years, Cam has acted on a number of transactions involving state-owned and publicly traded Chinese companies acquiring Canadian assets such as the purchase by Yancoal Resources of 19 potash permits in Saskatchewan.
Cam has served as a director for a number of companies listed on the TSX, NYSE, NASDAQ and AIM, and as a director of the Canadian Paraplegic Association (Ontario). He is involved in a number of philanthropic endeavours and is very active in his community. In 2011, Cam was awarded the 2011 Zenith Award by Lexpert in the area of Corporate Social Responsibility by Law Firm that Impacts, for our work with and donations to Omatjete Primary School Project in Namibia.
Cam has been continuously recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada in the areas of mining and natural resources law. He is also listed in the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory and has achieved a BV Distinguished™ rating by Martindale-Hubbell.
Representative transactions on which Cam has acted, include the following:
- Acting as lead Canadian counsel to New Gold Inc. in its acquisition of Rainy River Resources Ltd.
- Acting as lead Canadian counsel to Allied Nevada Gold Corp. in its US$400 million senior note offering with a cross currency interest rate swap (the first gold high-yield bought deal note offering in North America)
- Acted as lead Canadian counsel to New Gold Inc. on two cross-border high-yield debt offerings totalling $700 million
- Acted as lead counsel on a number of significant business combinations in the natural resource sector, including the merger of New Gold Inc. and Western Goldfields, Inc., the three-way merger of Kinross Gold Corporation, TVX Gold Inc. and Echo Bay Inc. and the acquisition by Hudbay Minerals Inc. of Hudson Bay Mining & Smelting Co. Limited
- Acted as lead counsel on numerous cross-border offerings including offerings for Allied Nevada Gold Corporation and Kinross Gold Corporation
- Acted for either the issuer or the underwriter on numerous clean-tech transactions, including GWR Global Water Resources Corp., Timminco Limited and the financing and acquisition by Ram Power, Corp. of three geothermal power companies
- Acted on several reorganizations in which public companies have migrated from the United States to Canada to become foreign private issuers
- Acted for a number of technology companies in the high-tech sector, including Dell Computer, WaveRider Communications Inc. and Image Processing Systems Inc. and sat as a director or officer of such companies
- Represented the Harris family on tax and corporate matters when Charlotte, N.C.-based Nucor Corporation acquired all of the issued and outstanding common shares of Harris Steel Group Inc. for approximately $1.2 billion
To view Cam's complete profile, please click here