Brett specializes in corporate and commercial litigation with an emphasis on pension and employment, environmental and general corporate litigation as well as class actions and administrative proceedings. His practice is national in scope and he has appeared before the courts of most provinces in Canada and the Supreme Court of Canada. Brett acts for some of Canada’s largest energy and national resource companies on a wide variety of litigious matters. He also regularly acts as pension litigation counsel to many of Canada’s major corporations and pension funds and has been involved in many of the leading pension decisions before the courts and pension tribunals. In addition, Brett has instructed at Osgoode Hall Law School’s Intensive Trial Advocacy Program.
- Monsanto Canada Inc. v. Ontario (Superintendent of Financial Services) 2004 SCC 54 – pension litigation in the Supreme Court of Canada relating to partial windup and surplus.
- Sierra Club of Canada v. Canada (Minister of Finance) 2002 SCC 41 – acting for Atomic Energy of Canada Limited in the Supreme Court of Canada regarding confidentiality orders in environmental cases.
- Burke v. Hudson Bay Co. (2010) - acting for Hudson Bay Company in Supreme Court of Canada regarding surplus entitlement on sale of business.
- Gencorp Canada Inc. v. Ontario (Superintendent of Pensions) (1998), 39 O.R. (3d) 38 (C.A.) – pension plan partial windup.
- Imperial Oil Limited v. The Nova Scotia Superintendent of Pensions et al., (1995) 126 D.L.R. (4th) 343 (N.S.C.A.) – pension plan partial windup.
- Smith v. Michelin North America (2008) 71 C.C.P.B. 161- Nova Scotia Court of Appeal decision regarding contribution holidays.
- Labrador Innuit Assn. v. Newfoundland (1077) 152 D.L.R. (4th) 50– Newfoundland Court of Appeal – aboriginal claims case relating to development of the Voisey’s Bay Mine in Labrador.
- Citizens’ Mining Council of Newfoundland & Labrador v. Canada  F.C.J. No. 23 –Environmental assessment case in the Federal Court regarding environmental assessment of mining development.
- Hembruff v. OMERS (2005) O.A.C. 234 – Ontario Court of Appeal decision regarding fiduciary duties of pension administrators.
- Lacroix v CMHC (2009) 73 C.C.P.B. 224 and Lloyd v. Imperial Oil Limited  W.W.R. 502 – counsel in Ontario and Alberta pension class actions dealing with surplus and plan amendments.