Brett Kagetsu is a partner in the firm's Vancouver office and is the former Vice-Chair of the firm's Corporate Finance, M&A and Private Equity Practice Group.
Brett assists both issuers and underwriters with public offerings, private placements, reverse takeovers and Capital Pool Company qualifying transactions. Brett is often involved with plans of arrangement, amalgamations and spin-out transactions.
Brett assists Canadian public companies with their regulatory compliance including with Canadian National Instrument 43-101 related matters.
Brett has extensive experience with shareholder meetings and provides strategic advice in connection with dissident proxy solicitations.
Brett is an active member of Gowlings' China Group and has helped several Chinese companies that have invested in Canada or that have sought a Canadian stock exchange listing.
Brett completed the Canadian Securities Institute's Canadian Securities Course in 2000 and earned an Award of Excellence for exceptional academic achievement in the course.
Some of Brett's representative transactions include:
- Acted for Sabina Gold & Silver Corp. in connection with over $125 million in underwritten bought deal financings
- Acted for Platinum Group Metals Ltd. in connection with a $35 million underwritten public offering
- Acted for Candente Copper Corp. in connection with a $30 million private placement
- Acted for Paramount Gold & Silver Corp. in connection with its acquisition of X-Cal Resources Ltd. by way of a plan of arrangement
- Acted for Mineral Mountain Resources Ltd. on its IPO and subsequent private placement financings
- Acted for Global Securities Corporation, a Vancouver-based investment dealer, on several IPOs and private placements