Brent has been an integral part of the firm’s Finance, Real Estate & Bankruptcy Services Practice Group since joining the Foster Swift in 1984. He currently serves as a member of the firm's Executive Committee. Brent's practice focuses primarily in real estate with an emphasis on:
Brent's clients include financial institutions, insurance companies, real estate brokers, developers, hospitals, manufacturers, farmers, municipalities and colleges.
His knowledge of real estate law is well recognized by his peers. Brent was named the 2009 Lansing Lawyer of the Year for Real Estate by Best Lawyers®, has been included in Best Lawyers® of America since 2001 and has an AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell.
Holding memberships in the American Bar Association, the State Bar of Michigan and its Real Property Law Section, and the Ingham County Bar Association, Brent is also admitted to practice in the U.S. District Court’s Western and Eastern Districts of Michigan. He is a member of the American Bar Association’s Forum on the Construction Industry and is an associate member of the American Institute of Architects. He has also been a member of various charitable and bank boards in the local community.
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
Michigan Supreme Court
— Representative Matters
- Assisted investors with complex purchase of multi-million dollar loans upon borrower's default.
- Assisted hospital and college with multi-parcel acquisitions for future development.
- Assisted insurance company with significant loan modifications, deeds-in-lieu of foreclosure, and workouts of defaulted loans in commercial loan portfolio.
- Assisted borrower of commercial development in legal action against lender to stop foreclosure due to lenders breach of loan documents and commitment.
- Assisted client with expansion of cosmetology school's operation to new cities in Michigan, Illinois, and Tennessee.
- Assisted client with multi-million dollar acquisition of out-of-state cosmetology school.
- Assisted landowners with sale of thousands of acres or prime agricultural land.
- Assisted clients with appeals of residential and commercial property tax assessments.