Ave M. Bie is a partner in the public utilities and corporate practice groups where she works on state and federal issues for clients at the Firm’s eight nationwide offices. She is the former chairwoman of the Public Service Commission (“PSC”) of Wisconsin and has a wide range of government experience coupled with an extensive knowledge of the inner workings of government regulation and licensing:
- During her tenure and under her leadership, the PSC moved to deal with critical infrastructure challenges to meet the needs of transmission, generation, and the Wisconsin consumers.
- As a member of the national regulator's Telecommunications Committee, she helped advance competitive markets within Wisconsin and worked to advance the deployment of new technologies.
- Development of regulatory strategy for clients.
- Ave is nationally recognized and a respected leader in the field of public utilities.
- Developed strategies for critical infrastructure and renewable portfolio standards.
- As Chair of PSCW, Ave was responsible for all major aspects of the state’s regulation of Wisconsin natural gas utilities, including rates and regulations, construction related to natural gas distribution systems, environmental impact analysis and pipeline safety.
- Authorized transmission line applications, siting of routes and need assessments.
- Developed long-range strategies for EHV transmission systems to accommodate load growth and generation requirements.