Andraya is Chair of Osler’s National Franchise and Distribution Practice Group, one of the most frequently recommended law firms for franchise law in Canada. She practises business law with an emphasis on franchising, distribution, privacy, and e-commerce law. Her practice focuses on advising Canadian and International franchisors in a broad range of industries, including quick service restaurants, retail, pharmacy, automotive, real estate and hospitality, on all aspects of Canadian franchise law. Andraya has developed particular expertise on advising foreign franchisors and retailers expanding their operations to Canada. She helps them manoeuvre through significant judicial, statutory and cultural differences between their home states and Canada to help ensure a smooth and successful entry into the Canadian market. Andraya is frequently sought out by small and medium-sized businesses in need of expert franchise advice. She also regularly advises franchisors, retailers and on-line businesses on Canadian distribution and trade practice law, including privacy, anti-spam, consumer protection, Internet sales, advertising, and telemarketing. Andraya provides franchising, intellectual property and privacy support on business transactions.
- Target Corporation, the second largest retailer in the U.S., in connection with its establishment of operations in Canada.
- General Motors of Canada Limited in its successful out of court restructuring and General Motors Corporation in connection with its successful sale of substantially all of its assets to General Motors Company under section 363 of Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.
- Developed customized franchise agreement and ancillary agreements for use by start-up franchisors.
- Created and regularly update national franchise disclosure documents for use across Canada in both regulated and unregulated provinces.
- Advised franchisors in connection with newly formed Franchisee Associations.
- Assisted US franchisors entering Canadian market with area developer and master franchise programs, as well as direct franchising model.
- Assisted Canadian franchisors on rollout of franchise programs into the US and internationally.
- Acted on public offering of securities, income trust and royalty trust offerings involving franchisors, including Pizza Pizza and Second Cup.
- Adapted consumer agreements for compliance with consumer protection laws, including Internet sales, gift cards, telemarketing, consumer credit disclosure, leasing, rent-to-own, prepaid services, direct sales, matchmaking services, and weight loss and fitness centres.
- Developed privacy policies and website terms and conditions for national franchisors, retailers and on-line businesses.